Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tntoriole said:

That four year stretch ended last winter.  Did I say that we trade Manny before last winter?  No.   But, your scenario of holding on till all hope is gone in the face of a team that is NOT currently a contender, is the type of scenario that got the Phillies where the Phillies are today. 

So coming into this year you thought we just had no shot to continue to contend? Are you serious?

Also, Phillies were in a terrible spot either way. They were full of aging players on bad contracts. This is a guy that is a young guy who could continue to lead this team for the next 10 years that we have a chance to sign long term, and if not have until next July to deal for a kings ransom (you can argue all you want, but Aroldis was going to be an FA last year and got Gleyber Torres who is a top 5 prospect heading the deal and he's a reliever. An impact, middle of the order, elite player bat is going to get that and multiple other solid pieces whether we get that now or next year.

5 minutes ago, Justinlstn said:

You let him hit FA you can kiss him goodbye and be stuck with a draft pick. That would be the worst thing they could do. Having a potential HOFer doesn't get you a world series ring.

The 1988 team had two, maybe three, hall of famers on it.  They lost 107 games.

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

So coming into this year you thought we just had no shot to continue to contend? Are you serious?

Also, Phillies were in a terrible spot either way. They were full of aging players on bad contracts. This is a guy that is a young guy who could continue to lead this team for the next 10 years that we have a chance to sign long term, and if not have until next July to deal for a kings ransom (you can argue all you want, but Aroldis was going to be an FA last year and got Gleyber Torres who is a top 5 prospect heading the deal and he's a reliever. An impact, middle of the order, elite player bat is going to get that and multiple other solid pieces whether we get that now or next year.

We shall see next year if you are right or I am right.  

6 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

The other thing I don't necessarily agree with is that the best closer being added to a pennant contender is not worth more in the very short term than adding an every day player.  First, there is usually more consistency in performance than from an every day player who for a month or two could go completely cold and in playoffs a big time closer is perhaps your most important weapon.  Plus, pennant contenders usually will less often have a major hole in midseason at a regular infield spot (without injury) and then a regular would be being benched, often disruptive to a team that is already winning...although Boston is someone this year that would have been an exception.   

We shall obviously see if they end up dealing Manny and when and what they get in return, but I would think there will be many fewer teams that will be a fit for a short term Manny rental than would be the case right now or even this winter. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

The other thing I don't necessarily agree with is that the best closer being added to a pennant contender is not worth more in the very short term than adding an every day player.  First, there is usually more consistency in performance than from an every day player who for a month or two could go completely cold and in playoffs a big time closer is perhaps your most important weapon.  Plus, pennant contenders usually will less often have a major hole in midseason at a regular infield spot (without injury) and then a regular would be being benched, often disruptive to a team that is already winning...although Boston is someone this year that would have been an exception.   

We shall obviously see if they end up dealing Manny and when and what they get in return, but I would think there will be many fewer teams that will be a fit for a short term Manny rental than would be the case right now or even this winter. 

I think we can easily agree that a dominant back end piece can have an enormous effect on a team's playoff performance. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

I think we can easily agree that a dominant back end piece can have an enormous effect on a team's playoff performance. 

Agreed. No where in my post does it say otherwise.

12 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

He makes it sound like it'll be soon.  I don't think it happens until next weekend.

Wow...seems odd for a player to talk like that. Think he knows something we don't?

Archived