Heathcliff Slocumb for Derek Lowe & Jason Varitek

Obando

This trade that Duquette made with the Red Sox in 1997 is arguably his best trade of a veteran reliever for prospects in his career as a GM.  I don't count his 2 trades for Pedro Martinez, since there's no doubt that those in a vacuum are 2 of the best trades any GM has ever made, considering the impact Pedro made for both the Expos & Red Sox.  But those trades were both made in the offseason, while the Slocumb deal was at the deadline when the Red Sox were out of the playoff race and went into seller mode.

Because DD has only made trades for veterans since he has been the GM, we really don't have anything to judge him on when it comes to trading in seller mode, other than to look at his past history with the Expos & Red Sox.  All I know is, if he can make more trades like the one he made for Slocumb, which landed him 2 important pieces of the Red Sox championship runs in the mid-2000's (and longtime, productive major leaguers), I like our chances to retool quickly and pump some real talent into our farm system.

Half the people on here weren't born then and the other half are asleep, that is my guess on the lack of responses. 

I know it isn't popular, but I feel that DD will do his best for us because it will reflect on him even if he does move on or get let go. 

He is a professional and will act as such. Us arm chair GMs don't have a clue what info he gets from scouting, but we love to judge with the benefit of hindsight. 

I am willing to have him at the helm to trade, as long as we go for it and don't just trade one of Britton/Brach. Let's do this right and with a plan. 

Either we trade the talked about expiring contracts and shoot for next year or a full rebuild. Let's not half it

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good point.  Not surprised there are zero replies so far.  It doesn't fit the narrative that DD is a terrible GM and can't evaluate young talent.  

My take is that Dan has one foot out of the door and will swing for the fences in 2018, meaning Britton and Brach aren't going anywhere:

36 minutes ago, VeveJones007 said:

My take is that Dan has one foot out of the door and will swing for the fences in 2018, meaning Britton and Brach aren't going anywhere:

If I'm totally being honest, I'm ok with this approach. This team can reload in FA, and get value from Smith/Castillo/Kim. Trade all three, bring up Hays, Mullins, Stewart or Yaz to fill in Kim and Smith's spots, and bring up Sisco or Hays as a backup to Joseph

25 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

If I'm totally being honest, I'm ok with this approach. This team can reload in FA, and get value from Smith/Castillo/Kim. Trade all three, bring up Hays, Mullins, Stewart or Yaz to fill in Kim and Smith's spots, and bring up Sisco or Hays as a backup to Joseph

Turning Hays from an outfielder to a catcher?

This was one of DD's good moves. I think the issue is that he tends to miss at a higher rate than hit, which would make him a highly paid Orioles player, but not liked by "hardcore" fans. I'm curious what their idea is for this year and what they do with it.

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Turning Hays from an outfielder to a catcher?

This was one of DD's good moves. I think the issue is that he tends to miss at a higher rate than hit, which would make him a highly paid Orioles player, but not liked by "hardcore" fans. I'm curious what their idea is for this year and what they do with it.

Wynns. Whoops. I think DD has been better than everyone gives him credit for. Has he made some bad moves, yeah. What GM hasn't had a few trades that blew up in their face? But the little pickups like Castro, Pearce, McClouth, Brach, Asher, and I could go on forever. He isn't a dumb GM, in fact him and MacPhail are two very good baseball minds. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

My concern is that he might think this team can be a contender next season and that he will target pieces that are close to ML ready over more talented pieces.

Have any of the names that have been thrown around really been guys that are markedly less talented than other prospects?

10 hours ago, sevastras said:

Half the people on here weren't born then and the other half are asleep, that is my guess on the lack of responses. 

I know it isn't popular, but I feel that DD will do his best for us because it will reflect on him even if he does move on or get let go. 

He is a professional and will act as such. Us arm chair GMs don't have a clue what info he gets from scouting, but we love to judge with the benefit of hindsight. 

I am willing to have him at the helm to trade, as long as we go for it and don't just trade one of Britton/Brach. Let's do this right and with a plan. 

Either we trade the talked about expiring contracts and shoot for next year or a full rebuild. Let's not half it

Angelos gave his okay to trade Britton and Brach. But no on Manny and AJ. So you see it's up to Angelos and Sons. 

10 hours ago, sevastras said:

Of course he will.  To think otherwise is silly, but makes for great tantrum fodder.  Rule number one - failure must have a face...

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

My concern is that he might think this team can be a contender next season and that he will target pieces that are close to ML ready over more talented pieces.

This is a fair concern, but I also think it's moot since I don't see him moving Britton or Brach. There's only so much you'll get in return for Smith and Castillo.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's probably going to happen.  He pretty much told the media that.  That's why we should give he and Buck 3 year extensions before the deadline.  There's only so many GM jobs out there.  DD wasn't exactly a hot commodity before us.  

He's probably thinking like I am(which is probably wrong).  Let's turn Brach and Britton into at least 2 potential rotation pieces for next year.  Then in 2018 have Bundy, Gausman, Tillman(1/8), Prospect, Prospect in the rotation.   

Archived