TT: DD becomes a buyer at the trading deadline (2017)

Tony-OH

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean I guess no one is running away with the division mathematically. But all three teams in front of us improved today. The team has to go on a major run here. But they lack the SP to do that and I don't see where the help is coming from. 

10 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

So yo

So you and Tony each know that Duquette both determined the Orioles' trade-deadline strategy and made the individual trade decisions. I think you're wrong based on my assessment of what he has done in the past and the strategies and decisions that appear to have been imposed on the owner in the past, but you may be right and I may be wrong. We'll probably never know.

If you think this is all Dan and want to call him an incompetent idiot who should be fired, that's fine. But I think you (and others) step over a line when you accuse Duquette of selfishly setting a strategy and making decisions, independent of directions from ownership, to further his selfish goal of helping the team this year and next, even though he knows those decisions will set back the franchise's future development. I don't think it's fair to besmirch the guy's integrity when you don't know he's doing that -- and when you do know the 88-year-old owner of the team, whose approval is needed for all trades, has had no qualms about doing that pretty much since he took over the team 24 years ago.  

Who did any of that. If Duquette is trying to improve the team while he's under contract, that's a smart move by him, that doesn't besmirch his reputation or whatever other crap you just said. No one said anything about Duquette's integrity and I fully understand the limitations he's under while working for Angelos.

6 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I mean I guess no one is running away with the division mathematically. But all three teams in front of us improved today. The team has to go on a major run here. But they lack the SP to do that and I don't see where the help is coming from. 

What did Tampa do for 2017?  Did they get a reliever?

12 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Can I get a hit of whatever DD is smoking

Well of course he said that because that's what his moves told us. He obviously came to the conclusion that if he can't get the mega prospect deal for Britton, then he would go full buyer and "go for it".

Unfortunately, since the All-Star break his "contending team" is  6-2 against the Rangers and 2-6 against the .500 or better teams they've faced.

1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

They got cishek, romo, hechevarria, and Duda 

Okay, you had said "today".  I thought I missed something.

I don't think those are strong pickups at all.  But they have the SP.  Surprised they didn't bring up Honeywell.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Guess I better save up for playoff tickets.  Is Sonny Gray and Yu Darvish walking through that door?  How is this team going to make the playoffs. 

Thats the thing, if we were going to "go for it" this year, I would have rather they traded for some pitching to replace Jimenez and Miley. I wouldn't have been happy but it would have fit their "strategy". How can you go for it and not fix the biggest weakness on the team

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Thats the thing, if we were going to "go for it" this year, I would have rather they traded for some pitching to replace Jimenez and Miley. I wouldn't have been happy but it would have fit their "strategy". How can you go for it and not fix the biggest weakness on the team

Jeremy Hellickson says Hi!

:eek:

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Hellickson!   All fixed!

14 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Can I get a hit of whatever DD is smoking

I don't get why these comments get people so riled up. Should he say, "hell I don't think we have a snowballs chance in hell and Beckham is here more for 18-20".

Archived