TT: DD becomes a buyer at the trading deadline (2017)

Tony-OH

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He only pitched a handful of innings last year and was a 6th round pick. This year he should up throwing 91-95 and is striking out more than a batter an inning as an 18-year old in the NY-Penn League. He's in the 8-15 range without putting a lot of analysis in.

I see no way how he could be any higher then 13.

sisco, Hayes, Mullins, Montcastle Hall Aiken, Hall, Scott Harvey Santander, Baumen,  Wells.  

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I see no way how he could be any higher then 13.

sisco, Hayes, Mullins, Montcastle Hall Aiken, Hall, Scott Harvey Santander, Baumen,  Wells.  

That would fall in that range, right? I'd have him higher than Bauman out of that crew though Hannifee might be a step in front.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Exactly.    

And DD became a seller. Couldn't he have said we will do what's best for the team? Try to improve our minors by moving some players? I would rather hear Dan say that. I think most fans realize that there is not much of a chance for the O's to be in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, theobird said:

I am just so saddened by the way this organization is run. Pathetic management. And this is not a reactionary post, I have been down on DD from the beginning. Look it up. I have been a die hard Orioles fan for 45 + years. I suppose I will die an Orioles fan. But for now, its time to step back. I will be back right after the regime change.

Well don't say that. I've been a fan over 55 years so I know how you feel. Waiting for a regime change may not happen anytime soon. 

1 minute ago, Deadwood Fan said:

Jabby Burns is reporting on his podcast that Duquette could be let go after the Trade Deadline and he thinks the latest he could be gone is after this season. 

That makes no sense to let him run a deadline and then let him go right after.  

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Duquette ended up a buyer vs a seller as most fans and observers thought they should be.

With the trading deadline come and gone and although there were rumors that the Dodgers, Astros, and Indians were all in on closer Zach Britton, it seems that none were able to come up with the kind of prospects Dan Duquette wanted for his closer. Instead, he ends up going full buyer mode by trading a good young right-handed pitching prospect for a questionable major league shortstop with defensive issues.

With another year on Britton's contract, I can understand Duquette expecting a pretty big haul, but what is harder to understand is how Brad Brach, Seth Smith, Welington Castillo, and although the contract is hard to move, Darren O'day weren't linked to anyone. 

Instead, Duquette made three moves, all of which are buyer moves. He started out with a non-needle moving trade of acquiring Jeremy Hellickson for Hyun So Kim, Garrett Cleavinger and international signing slot money. Then on the deadlines last day he gets Double-A RHP Yefry Ramírez from the Yankees in exchange for International Signing Bonus Slots and then traded 18-year RHP Tobias Myers for INF Tim Beckam from the Rays.

Myers was just 18-years old and turning some heads in the NY-Penn league with his command, low 90 to mid 90s heater. Beckam is an upgrade over Hardy/Tejada and won't be a free agent until 2021 so they did improve themselves a little bit at a position of need, but Myers was a good looking prospect. On top of it, Beckam has a career .964 Fld pct at SS, has been suspended twice for drugs, sent to the minors for not hustling, and K's about once every three at bats. 

It says something though that the Rays would trade their SS to the Orioles for a young pitching prospect with upside when the Rays are actually a few games ahead of the Orioles for the wild card. Seems one team is looking long term and the other can't trade a good young pitching prospect fast enough for marginal big league players.

Ramirez was not listed as a top-30 prospect by MLB.com.

While other organizations either made their teams better for this season or added significant prospects to their organizations, the Orioles didn't move their needle this season and actually gave up a good young arm and international signing slots. The Orioles proved that they have no interest in the international market and that they believe they are a contender this year and the next.

It seems as though the worse fears are true. With only one more season under his belt as GM, Duquette had no reason to try and improve fo the future but instead did what he could to marginal improve his team this year and hop that they can jump six teams and make into the one game wild card playoff.

Either way, it's just another disappointing trading deadline for Orioles fans. Don't know why we expected anything different.

I am not surprised that the Orioles were buyers at the deadline. Once they announced that Jones and Machado          would not be moved I expected the core to return next year for one final push.. Even though Machado is having an off year at the plate I would have looked to move him this year. He will net the most return of anyone on the Orioles roster and he would have yielded a starting shortstop and at least one starting pitching prospect that could be plug into the rotation . ( That's just the start.) while it is refreshing to see a major league team hold a player accountable for lack of effort I doubt that he gets benched or sent down if he reverts to his old habits. Besides, He'll fit right in with the third base man that he will most likely line up next to.

38 minutes ago, Deadwood Fan said:

Jabby Burns is reporting on his podcast that Duquette could be let go after the Trade Deadline and he thinks the latest he could be gone is after this season. 

I think there is a better chance of Duquette being let go after the season. If Angelos decides he's not the guy to move the organization forward, then why let him be a lame duck GM? Either resign him or move on.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I think there is a better chance of Duquette being let go after the season. If Angelos decides he's not the guy to move the organization forward, then why let him be a lame duck GM? Either resign him or move on.

I agree Tony do you think Buck will receive an extension? 

4 minutes ago, Deadwood Fan said:

I agree Tony do you think Buck will receive an extension? 

I honestly don't know. Other than his terrible mistake in last year's wild card game, he really gets the most out of his roster. My only question were the assessments of Miranda, Bridwell, Davies and Triggs Buck's?

Good take Tony, especially on the international slots. I agree, overall they did not blow it up, but they also (wisely) did not try to move the needle this season. However, I don't totally get the sense of disappointment. Were you wanting them to blow it up? These moves are about winning next year. They still think we have a chance next year with the core of Jones, Machado, Davis, and Britton, with Schoop now emerging as a superstar. The moves today fill Hardy's spot, one of the big question marks. We just need Gausman and Tillman to perform like we know they can, Bundy build his strength and improve incrementally, and clear Ubaldo and Miley's contracts for somebody decent. It's not flashy, but it's a sound plan with a decent chance of success. 

Combined with both Britton and Machado having some question marks, it is possible they will actually have higher value at this time next year if the plan doesn't work.

DD is never one to deviate too much from his plan. I did not expect Beckham, but the general approach is exactly what I expected, and I think DD got good deals with each of the moves.

Archived