What's the most positive development for the O's future this year?

Frobby

Best development of 2017?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What's been the best development for the O's in 2017!

• Dylan Bundy proving to be a reliable starting pitcher with TOR potential
    • Trey Mancini proving he can hit in the bigs and play a decent OF
    • Jonathan Schoop going from solid starting 2B to all-star quality 2B
    • Miguel Castro emerging as reliable rubber armed reliever with starter potential
    • The Tim Beckham trade and his blossoming offense
    • The emergence of several MiL hitters as likely future pieces in the next 1-2 years
    • Other

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'd submit that there have been a lot of very positive developments for the Orioles future in 2017.   Which seems most important to you?

Indeed. Also add Bleier to the list. But since SP is our biggest need Bundy is tops, IMO.

Bundy's emergence for me.  It was a close call with the emergence of the hitters in the minors, but it's looking possible that we may have our best pitcher since Mussina.  Not to jinx it.

Also not on the list, but certainly VERY positibe is the re-emergence of Hunter Harvey.  Bundy him and Gausman in the rotation is potentially elite.

Incredibly tough poll. I will have to mull it over before voting. My top three, not ranked by me yet, are Mancini, Castro, and the MiL hitters. All three of these were more  out of the blue than Bundy and Schoop so were "bigger" to me. I think Beckham has obviously been phenomenal as a hitter and clearly unexpectedly so, but once he's just a good hitter next year his defense is going to really decrease his value. Pretty fun that this is such a hard poll. 

20 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Incredibly tough poll. I will have to mull it over before voting. My top three, not ranked by me yet, are Mancini, Castro, and the MiL hitters. All three of these were more  out of the blue than Bundy and Schoop so were "bigger" to me. I think Beckham has obviously been phenomenal as a hitter and clearly unexpectedly so, but once he's just a good hitter next year his defense is going to really decrease his value. Pretty fun that this is such a hard poll. 

I agree, it's nice that there are so many positives to choose from.   I thought about breaking down the minor league question into specific players or just specifying Hays, but thought the collective group was the better way to think about it.   And to joelala: you're right that getting Harvey back and seemingly fully effective could turn out to be the most important of all.    But we'll have a better handle on that next year, I think.  

I would have to go with Schoop. I feel like expectations for Bundy were already fairly high. Mancini is a huge bonus followed by Beckham and Castro. Of course, Santander and the minor leaguers could have bigger long term impact. 

Regarding Mancini, I am thinking Ryan Braun as a possible high end comp. That is a really nice win for the organization. I love the two-handed swing, I wish more guys would use that approach. 

It has always been a possibility in my mind that Bundy could be an ace and Schoop could be an all star but Mancini being a productive major league hitter? I would have guessed he would've been a good depth piece in the long term, yet here he is as an everyday player on a contending team.

9 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Should be another line of "All of The Above".  IMO.

Having read all the posts that have put Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter as being "Incompetent" at their jobs, it would seem that the Orioles had no improvement at all.  This list/poll is an example of those posters being wrong.  Any and all of these players could have been traded away or could have not been acquired through Dan and Bucks watch.  They were kept or acquired through this management team.

I also look at the team in total, hence i do not have the ability/want to place anything/anyone as best.

A good poll and fuel for thought.  Thanks Frobby.

Precisely.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'd submit that there have been a lot of very positive developments for the Orioles future in 2017.   Which seems most important to you?

I think the most important thing is the fact that you can list this many things and have a discussion about which one is best while acknowledging that each of them are very good.

That to me is the most important development.  Bundy a close second.

Archived