Austin Hays

weams

58 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

For who?

Need to find an underperforming starter on another team with a bad contract.  Do we want to take one of those on? Only other option, is eating a portion of his contract in a salary dump.  

I think they may want to see if he can bounce back.  I agree, he should be moved before the season but it's going to be difficult.  A DH with a .700 to .750 OPS isn't worth more than the league minimum these days and he's got 2/25 left on his contract. 

I was thinking about Parra.  He has 1 more season at $10M, then a 1.5M buy out.  Gonzalez is gone.  Dahl and Desmond have had injury concerns.  They may have a need for a 1B.  Maybe.

I'm happy for him and all...But the timing of this makes zero sense to me.

First and least importantly to the Orioles apparently, is that Bowie is about to start the playoffs. They mentioned a while back they wanted these guys to play in a playoff environment in the minors if given the chance. Well, he was...Then had it taken away.

Second, you start his service clock early, which will cost them time with him. Not a smart idea, when combined with...

Third, when are you going to play him? Unless Santander still isn't healthy and they are masking it by making him the new Kim, they are having a crowded outfield. He's not Rule 5 eligible this year, so no need for him to have been on the 40. The offense hasn't been an issue much, it's been the pitching. You can score 8 runs, but when pitching give up 9, it doesn't matter.

Do you think Buck is really going to put him over Smith/Rickard/Trumbo combos? You have Sisco and Alvarez, who have a combined 1 inning played so far since being called up with 0 at bats.

He's not a pinch runner. Yaz would have been a better (and more expendable at the end of the year) option when you want might want to create an extra 40 spot for someone (Rule 5 eligible that you want to keep, Rule 5 that you keep, free agent signings) while providing good defense, a possible good bat, and more speed than Hays.

I really can't wait to follow this for the rest of the season though to see how this plays out. Hoping he gets a lot of time to play and continues his pace from Frederick and Bowie.

• Upvote 2

Posted this in the AH 2017 minors thread, but I 100% agree with what Joey said above:

For the record, not a fan of this.  If we were a lock for a playoff spot, then I'd be somewhat OK with it.  I just don't see the point of starting his service clock.  We have a tough enough time with payroll and resigning our own young talent and this move accentuates that notion further.  He had better play every single day in RF otherwise this is a very shortsighted move by the FO.  

Unless, of course, Hays pushes us over the top and into a playoff spot.  Since he doesn't pitch however, I don't see that happening.

10 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm happy for him and all...But the timing of this makes zero sense to me.

First and least importantly to the Orioles apparently, is that Bowie is about to start the playoffs. They mentioned a while back they wanted these guys to play in a playoff environment in the minors if given the chance. Well, he was...Then had it taken away.

Helping Baltimore make the playoffs is more important than helping Bowie in their playoffs.

Second, you start his service clock early, which will cost them time with him. Not a smart idea, when combined with...

If he was going to start next year on the OD roster then this doesn't cost them any years of control.  If they're optioning him to start next season, they'll need to keep him down an extra month if they're trying to get an extra year.

Do you think Buck is really going to put him over Smith/Rickard/Trumbo combos? You have Sisco and Alvarez, who have a combined 1 inning played so far since being called up with 0 at bats.

He's not a pinch runner. Yaz would have been a better (and more expendable at the end of the year) option when you want might want to create an extra 40 spot for someone (Rule 5 eligible that you want to keep, Rule 5 that you keep, free agent signings) while providing good defense, a possible good bat, and more speed than Hays.

If Buck plays Rickard over Hays, it's probably time for him to retire.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Helping Baltimore make the playoffs is more important than helping Bowie in their playoffs.

If he was going to start next year on the OD roster then this doesn't cost them any years of control.  If they're optioning him to start next season, they'll need to keep him down an extra month if they're trying to get an extra year.

If Buck plays Rickard over Hays, it's probably time for him to retire.

Helping Baltimore make the playoffs, then what? He isn't a pitcher. Again, you can have the entire lineup hit and put up a lot of runs. But then you trot out a starter who gives up twice as many. Would it have really been a bad thing to keep him in Bowie for the playoffs, then bring him up after? Or is it to try and exploit the roster rule for him to be post season eligible?

Fair enough about the control. Guess we will see what they do there.

Buck tends to stick with vets. When Davis has been struggling, who was at first? When Trumbo struggled, who was getting his at bats? The roster expanded and Santander is texting Kim about how to properly throw sunflower seeds at home run hitters. Playing him once a week, or just in the last inning or two of a blowout isn't going to prove anything.

Then you might want to start taking up a collection to buy Buck a nice watch. I predict Rickard will still get a majority of the playing time.

57 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I was thinking about Parra.  He has 1 more season at $10M, then a 1.5M buy out.  Gonzalez is gone.  Dahl and Desmond have had injury concerns.  They may have a need for a 1B.  Maybe.

Rockies would never do that.  Even if Parra wasn't coming off a great season, the money exchange alone wouldn't be worth it to them.  

Find me a starter making a good amount of money over the next couple years with a 5+ ERA in 2017.  That is your match for Trumbo.  

Phil Hughes is one I found.  

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think Buck will play him over Rickard. It's kind of 50/50, but Buck knows Rickard isn't bringing a whole lot to the table. And with Gentry out, Rickard makes more sense as a 4th/5th OF.

If you heard what Dan said during the rain delay and read between the lines, they aren't bringing this kid up to sit on the bench. Dan could barely contain himself (in the most Dan way possible) about his 5 tools and how he just breezed through double A when they thought he would struggle. Rickard will be on the bench and Hayes will be the starter in RF if I had to guess. At the absolute least he will start against LHP, again Dan was almost drooling talking about how he systematically destroyed LHP in the minors and the numbers were crazy. 

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I would start him without question tonight. What the hell is the point of starting the clock and NOT playing the kid? And he's a good defender too...and runs well.

So Rickard can strike out on a 3-2 pitch that's way out of the zone.

Keith Law from Insider:

I also hit up a Bowie-Reading game last week to see some of Baltimore's top hitting prospects, led by 2016 third-round pick Austin Hays, who is now hitting .329/.363/.606 across two levels with 31 total homers. Hays homered once in that game, a bomb to the opposite field on a fastball on the outer third, and showed no trouble catching up to velocity. He has great bat speed and likes to use it, taking relatively few pitches but also showing the ability to foul a lot of stuff off. He's a below-average runner who has played a lot of center but was in a corner that night and will certainly end up there.

Huh?   Have never seen Hays described as a below average runner. 

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Keith Law from Insider:

I also hit up a Bowie-Reading game last week to see some of Baltimore's top hitting prospects, led by 2016 third-round pick Austin Hays, who is now hitting .329/.363/.606 across two levels with 31 total homers. Hays homered once in that game, a bomb to the opposite field on a fastball on the outer third, and showed no trouble catching up to velocity. He has great bat speed and likes to use it, taking relatively few pitches but also showing the ability to foul a lot of stuff off. He's a below-average runner who has played a lot of center but was in a corner that night and will certainly end up there.

Huh?   Have never seen Hays described as a below average runner. 

Generally speed grades are based on home to first times.   So, I'm assuming he got some slower home to first times.  I haven't put a stop watch on him, he plays fast so I've trusted the 55 speed grade most outlets have put on him.  I'll time him when he gets a start for the O's.

7 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Generally speed grades are based on home to first times.   So, I'm assuming he got some slower home to first times.  I haven't put a stop watch on him, he plays fast so I've trusted the 55 speed grade most outlets have put on him.  I'll time him when he gets a start for the O's.

In the same article he refers to Mullins as a below average runner as well.  Strange