Austin Hays

weams

5 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Probably. Or you could trade Joseph and make Wynns the backup. 

I think time in Norfolk wouldn't kill either of them, really. Hays has beat down the door, so have Mullins and Stewart. We also have to factor in Adam, too. 

Having good (not exceptional) years in Bowie isn't beating down the door for a promotion to Baltimore.  Both those two still have plenty to prove.  They can do it in Norfolk next season.  I don't see a logjam in the OF unless they add another OF through free agency or resign Seth Smith. 2019 is another story especially if they choose to resign Adam. 

Just now, ChuckS said:

For who?

Need to find an underperforming starter on another team with a bad contract.  Do we want to take one of those on? Only other option, is eating a portion of his contract in a salary dump.  

I think they may want to see if he can bounce back.  I agree, he should be moved before the season but it's going to be difficult.  A DH with a .700 to .750 OPS isn't worth more than the league minimum these days and he's got 2/25 left on his contract. 

The market isn't going to be flooded by power hitters this offseason like it was last year. There are a lot of uninspiring guys in FA this coming year, so a deal isn't that far off. Texas would be my best guess, they love power hitters. Oakland too, possibly. 

Just now, ChuckS said:

Having good (not exceptional) years in Bowie isn't beating down the door for a promotion to Baltimore.  Both those two still have plenty to prove.  They can do it in Norfolk next season.  I don't see a logjam in the OF next season unless they add another OF through free agency or resign Seth Smith. 

I don't want to see Trumbo or Rickard out there on a regular basis (or Trumbo at all really).

Just now, ChuckS said:

Having good (not exceptional) years in Bowie isn't beating down the door for a promotion to Baltimore.  Both those two still have plenty to prove.  They can do it in Norfolk next season.  I don't see a logjam in the OF next season unless they add another OF through free agency or resign Seth Smith. 

Mullins has, IMO done well to deserve a shot in ST. Stewart needs a year in Norfolk though, but there is an argument to be made there. 

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Mullins has, IMO done well to deserve a shot in ST. Stewart needs a year in Norfolk though, but there is an argument to be made there. 

Mullins has 300 at bats in Double A and a .626 OPS since the All-Star break.  He deserves a look in Spring Training as do all of our prospects currently in Double A and Triple A but I don't think he should be considered for the opening day roster.  

Stewart simply isn't that exciting of a prospect and he's behind Hays and Santander at a minimum, so I don't see him figuring in for next season.  

Let those two keep progressing in Norfolk and let's not read too much into how well or poorly they perform in Spring Training.  Rickard has looked phenomenal the last two spring trainings and been very mediocre at the plate when the games have started counting. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Mullins has 300 at bats in Double A and a .626 OPS since the All-Star break.  He deserves a look in Spring Training as do all of our prospects currently in Double A and Triple A but I don't think he should be considered for the opening day roster.  

Stewart simply isn't that exciting of a prospect and he's behind Hays and Santander at a minimum, so I don't see him figuring in for next season.  

Let those two keep progressing in Norfolk and let's not read too much into how well or poorly they perform in Spring Training.  Rickard has looked phenomenal the last two spring trainings and been very mediocre at the plate when the games have started counting. 

There is exciting and there is serviceable.

I'll agree that Mullins is the more exciting prospect but I think Stewart would have an easier time handling the jump in opposition.

I honestly have no idea about Santander. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is exciting and there is serviceable.

I'll agree that Mullins is the more exciting prospect but I think Stewart would have an easier time handling the jump in opposition.

I honestly have no idea about Santander. 

My point is, I don't see a player like Stewart skipping Triple A for a spot on the big league roster.  Neither his performance in the minors or his prospect status warrant it.  I don't think he's that highly regarded by the organization compared to some of these other guys who will get a chance first in a crowded Baltimore outfield.  

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

My point is, I don't see a player like Stewart skipping Triple A for a spot on the big league roster.  Neither his performance in the minors or his prospect status warrant it.  I don't think he's that highly regarded by the organization compared to some of these other guys who will get a chance first in a crowded Baltimore outfield.  

I'm actually really pleased with how he has done this season. 

If Trumbo were to be traded that would move Mancini to first.  I think Stewart might be the best in house option for left.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm actually really pleased with how he has done this season. 

If Trumbo were to be traded that would move Mancini to first.  I think Stewart might be the best in house option for left.

I think it would be more likely that you have Santander/Rickard and Hays on the corners or that they add another veteran outfielder, assuming that Trumbo is traded.   

DJ has had a good year and could figure into Baltimore sometime relatively soon I just don't think it will be in 2018, not in the early part of the season anyway.  

Still like to see more reports on his defense. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think it would be more likely that you have Santander/Rickard and Hays on the corners or that they add another veteran outfielder, assuming that Trumbo is traded.   

DJ has had a good year and could figure into Baltimore sometime relatively soon I just don't think it will be in 2018, not in the early part of the season anyway.  

Still like to see more reports on his defense. 

What I have seen has been positive.

No mentions of his arm even.