What team will sign Hardy to be their everyday SS?

Going Underground

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Hardy back on a one year super cheap deal would be awful. Beckham can move around as the utility guy when Hardy is at SS. Hardy can be coach/player and he's been part of this winning core since the beginning. We've got one year left before its time to dream of competing again...lets have Hardy be part of that in a limited role.

• 4 months later...
51 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

+1. If we can get him at UI price I would love to have JJ back and finish his career as an Oriole. 

Sorry, but no.    I love JJ, and was in favor of his last contract.    But he can’t pinch run, can’t really pinch hit, and is solid defensively but no longer a big plus.    I’d rather go with someone who can contribute in other ways.    

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sorry, but no.    I love JJ, and was in favor of his last contract.    But he can’t pinch run, can’t really pinch hit, and is solid defensively but no longer a big plus.    I’d rather go with someone who can contribute in other ways.    

What UI on the market or in our system can hit better than JJ? Pinch running is a consideration but our bench OFs can do that. (When did Flaherty ever help as a PR?) I think JJ would be fine without the wear and tear of playing every day. Probably a good mentor to Beckham and clubhouse presence etc. Only major strike is that a lefty would be nice.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

What UI on the market or in our system can hit better than JJ? Pinch running is a consideration but our bench OFs can do that. (When did Flaherty ever help as a PR?) I think JJ would be fine without the wear and tear of playing every day. Probably a good mentor to Beckham and clubhouse presence etc. Only major strike is that a lefty would be nice.

It's also less than optimal that the last time he played a single inning anywhere but shortstop was at least high school.  100% of his professional defensive innings from the day he was drafted have been at short.  I'd prefer my UI to have played 3B/2B sometime in the last 15 years.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's also less than optimal that the last time he played a single inning anywhere but shortstop was at least high school.  100% of his professional defensive innings from the day he was drafted have been at short.  I'd prefer my UI to have played 3B/2B sometime in the last 15 years.

JJ would do it as well as anybody.  I think the mentoring piece alone could be worth the price.  And I would bet with rest, his bat would be better than Ryan Flaherty or any of the other ones we are currently considering.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think JJ is someone who might get signed midseason to fill in for a starter who goes down with an injury. For example - the Angels, if Simmons goes down for a while and they're in the playoff hunt.

37 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

JJ would do it as well as anybody.  I think the mentoring piece alone could be worth the price.  And I would bet with rest, his bat would be better than Ryan Flaherty or any of the other ones we are currently considering.  

I think there's a lot of speculating there.  I have little doubt he'd be a good mentor, but the rest is a big question mark.  Two of the last three years he's had an OPS under .600.  Rest doesn't cure age and a career's worth of stints on the DL.

Archived