Orioles Halt National's Exhibition Games At Naval Academy

Can_of_corn

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-nationals-navy-20171101-story.html

Not a good look.

Yes the Naval Academy does fall within the Orioles territory but halting a game mostly held in front of kids enrolled in a service academy seems spiteful and little. 

Before the Nationals played there last season, the Naval Academy has hosted MLB teams 11 previous times, but not since 1987, when the Houston Astros played the Navy baseball team in 1987. The Orioles were among those teams that played in Annapolis, but others — including the New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers and Red Sox — also did, all without incident arising from the territorial rules that have been in effect since the MLB constitution was written in 1921.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Could it be more because of MLB and this mess over MASN?

I can't image, not letting the game on, just because of spite about a rival competitor in your market.

I can't either, although it certainly is going to look that way.  Given Tom Clancy's devotion to all of the services during his lifetime, this is even more puzzling to me.

33 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Except Claney is dead, and didn't his widow sell of his small ownership shares?

Yes, Clancy is dead and the team wore a commerative patch on their sleeves for, I believe, an entire season.  I don't know what his widow has done with his ownership shares.

I'm looking for an upside for the Orioles in this situation and coming up less than empty.  I guess my point is not only do they look petty, they look clumsy on top of it.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-nationals-navy-20171101-story.html

Not a good look.

Yes the Naval Academy does fall within the Orioles territory but halting a game mostly held in front of kids enrolled in a service academy seems spiteful and little. 

This is pretty stupid. What does it hurt? It's for or was for these young men and women enrolled at the naval academy. I think it's ridiculous and petty. 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

This is pretty stupid. What does it hurt? It's for or was for these young men and women enrolled at the naval academy. I think it's ridiculous and petty. 

Early August every season, the Bowie Baysox have Navy appreciation night, and they bus down the plebes and let them attend for free, pretty amazing to see all those very young future officers.

Just not a good PR move. Could easily be corrected. Orioles could host a game at the Naval Academy. Just comes across as petty. Players didn't just play a game but toured the facility and had breakfast with the midshipmen, Capitals are playing a game at the academy,I don't think the Orioles can cancel that one.

The Nationals have built a strong relationship with the military since baseball returned to D.C., culminating with last spring’s Naval Academy Baseball Classic.

The April 1 game, which ended in a 4-4 tie with the Boston Red Sox, was played at Max Bishop Stadium in Annapolis in front of 1,030 spectators, including 800 uniformed midshipmen. It was the first time Annapolis hosted an MLB team since the Houston Astros played an exhibition game against the Naval Academy baseball team May 4, 1987. Before this year’s game, the Nationals ate breakfast with midshipmen and officers, then joined the Red Sox for a tour of the Naval Academy grounds.

The Naval Academy Baseball Classic was slated to be held yearly through 2019, but due to a territorial issue with the Baltimore Orioles, the event will no longer take place, according to multiple sources.

Since moving to D.C., the Nationals have made at least one trade with every MLB team, except one … their neighbors just 38 miles to the northeast.

This newly created exhibition in Annapolis comes one year after the Braves and Marlins played a regular season game at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.

“We’re really excited about this partnership with the Washington Nationals to have the opportunity to showcase the Naval Academy on a national stage,” said vice admiral Walter E. “Ted” Carter Jr., the academy’s superintendent.

The NHL officially announced Monday that the Washington Capitals will host the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2018 NHL Stadium Series on March 3, 2018, at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis.

“We look forward to welcoming the Toronto Maple Leafs and their fans to beautiful Annapolis next March for the first-ever outdoor hockey game at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium,” Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said in a release. “Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium will be a unique and historic setting for fans from all across our region to experience what promises to be a great hockey game. We are honored to have the opportunity to play at one of the very best institutions our region, and our country, have to offer: the United States Naval Academy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/10/30/naval-academy-baseball-classic-scrapped-due-to-territorial-issue-between-nationals-orioles/?utm_term=.16a41619840f

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2017/02/nats-to-host-red-sox-in-newly-created-exhibition-at-naval-academy.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2017/05/27/capitals-expected-to-play-in-outdoor-game-at-naval-academy-next-season/?utm_term=.b92901cacc7f

Yeah that is a horrible decision. We should be doing the game then, we need to schedule the game to play for the military if we're upset they're in our 'area', we're not doing it for our area then. Nothing good comes out of canceling it. Makes us look really bad, just a simple thing like this really says a lot about our ownership, very disappointing.

Archived