Orioles extend offers to bring back coaching staff

Redskins Rick

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I wouldn't blame him. Blame the pitchers. They stink at pitching. 

Well then the same argument can be made for McDowell.  That's my only point.  And there are indications that they pitched better with Joseph than they did with Castillo.  Simply too small a sample size to even consider Sisco as a factor.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Could Castillo's catching have figured into the "regression" exhibited by our pitchers?  McDowell was not the only new element in the pitching equation.

As I’ve pointed out a number of times, the pitchers did much better with Joseph than with Castillo.    Over a run per game better, and the difference was even greater among the starting pitchers.    However, Buck has been very adamant that the pitchers liked throwing to both of his catchers, and he’s absolutely refused to put any blame on Castillo.    I don’t know whether he’s just protecting Castillo, or whether he honestly believes it.

3 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Being a Cleveland Browns fan, I see the value in bringing in a new coaching staff every year until you get desired results. It was worked for the Browns...the dumb Steelers hold on to coaches forever, and look how poorly they have performed over the past couple of decades. 

Apples and oranges to some extent.  Football coaching is an entirely different activity than baseball coaching.   Much more system oriented, position oriented, technique teaching etc. goes on in the NFL coaching systems than anything done by major league baseball coaching, imho.    But even so,  Buck and Dan have had continuous and well paid managerial positions since 2011-12 and have done well for much of that time.  But they finished in last place in 2017 and we shall see how they do in 2018.      Not every year, but change every 5-6 years is not a bad thing, imho.    But if the Orioles finish poorly again in 2018, the larger question is does the current leadership wish to undertake and have the necessary desire and skills to undertake the required rebuild?   Not how long they have been at the helm, but are they willing to rebuild the organization if needed?  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

As I’ve pointed out a number of times, the pitchers did much better with Joseph than with Castillo.    Over a run per game better, and the difference was even greater among the starting pitchers.    However, Buck has been very adamant that the pitchers liked throwing to both of his catchers, and he’s absolutely refused to put any blame on Castillo.    I don’t know whether he’s just protecting Castillo, or whether he honestly believes it.

When have you ever heard a manager say “Player X is the reason we lost/sucked this year. “?

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

What else would he say?

13 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The article did say they don't like to pay for established managers.Bus Black was supposed to be the manager before they hI red Dusty.He was basically hired bur wouldn't give him the years or money.

I have mixed feeling about that.

On one hand, I don't think managers make a big impact on performance.

On the other hand if you can show a manager is worth 1-2 wins above league average than that is worth 13 million or so at the current value of a win.

Archived