Castillo declines option

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So you feel that it’s a coincidence that the team had a 5.60 ERA when Castillo caught, and 4.23 when Joseph caught?    Sorry, but I just can’t get past that stat.    I’m ready to let Sisco step in for Castillo.

Yea that's totally fair. I know Castillo's pitch framing isn't very good. And for the record, I'm totally ready for Sisco to step in as well.

But in terms of 2017, I think you have to compare Castillo to Wieters. The Castillo/Jospeh combo seemed to work out a lot better than a Wieters/Jospeh one would have, especially considering the price.

Although maybe I'm going to easy on Castillo...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Sisco is ready, either.  I'd play the hell out of him in ST if I was Buck to see if he's up to par defensively.  I tend to agree that I'd rather him start in AAA if he's not ready to play in the majors every day.  I'm fine with Joseph holding down the job, at least to start the season. 

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im torn, I want to see Sisco on the big team.

I wonder if he needs another half a season of AAA, playing everyday to further advance his skillset behind the plate, instead of sitting and playing once every 4-7 days.

If he's on the team he's going to play more than that.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's on the team he's going to play more than that.

I dont see Buck playing his backup catcher much more than that, even 2-3 games a week, is the not same as playing 6 games out of 7.

Is he at that defensive level, that he has stopped learning his craft?

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont see Buck playing his backup catcher much more than that, even 2-3 games a week, is the not same as playing 6 games out of 7.

Is he at that defensive level, that he has stopped learning his craft?

I don't think he's the backup catcher if he makes the team.  I think they will be platooned.

At the beginning of the season, I could see Joseph catching 3-4 days per week and Sisco 2-3. Sisco could also DH a little from the left side. I can't see Sisco being ready for a FT catcher's role, but working with Russell everyday will help him get better. Maybe by July-August, Sisco is taking over. 

In other news, I would really like to trade Trumbo. 

17 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Yea that's totally fair. I know Castillo's pitch framing isn't very good. And for the record, I'm totally ready for Sisco to step in as well.

But in terms of 2017, I think you have to compare Castillo to Wieters. The Castillo/Jospeh combo seemed to work out a lot better than a Wieters/Jospeh one would have, especially considering the price.

Although maybe I'm going to easy on Castillo...

I don't think so. I like Castillo. Was glad he was in Baltimore 2017. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he's the backup catcher if he makes the team.  I think they will be platooned.

This.  As the lefty hitter,, if Sisco is on the 25 man roster, he will get more starts than Joseph.  But Joseph probably gets opening day - meaningless in the big scheme of things, but an honor for the veteran.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the job will be split fairly close to 50/50.     That’s more or less what Buck did last year (55% Castillo, 45% Joseph), in 2014 after Wieters went down, and in 2015 as Wieters was building back up.    I’d guess Joseph will catch a bit more than Sisco, but not a lot more.  

Archived