Heyman Says The Dodgers and Cubs Are Interested in Britton Again

section18

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this earlier and though I am very much not in favor of the Cubs giving up more prospects for relievers, I think a deal would look something like this.

Britton for Adbert Alzolay and Jen Ho Tseng would make sense

Adbert Alzolay: 2.99ERA 1.14WHIP between A+ and AA in 2017 at age 22. He will be top 100 according to most publications when 2018 lists come out, can touch 97mph and has people who think he's as high as a  #2 and some as low as  #4)

Jen Ho Tseng: Could step into the rotation immediately and while his upside isn't terribly high, he has the kind of command that lets his stuff play up where he could spend the next decade manning the #4 or #5 slot.

I could also see Victor Caratini in deal in lieu of Alzolay. He's ready to play in the bigs right now. His arm is pretty much just average behind the plate, but he has good feet and is  improving his receiving. He makes his money primarily with the bat where he hit .342 in AAA last year.

11 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Saw this earlier and though I am very much not in favor of the Cubs giving up more prospects for relievers, I think a deal would look something like this.

Britton for Adbert Alzolay and Jen Ho Tseng would make sense

Adbert Alzolay: 2.99ERA 1.14WHIP between A+ and AA in 2017 at age 22. He will be top 100 according to most publications when 2018 lists come out, can touch 97mph and has people who think he's as high as a  #2 and some as low as  #4)

Jen Ho Tseng: Could step into the rotation immediately and while his upside isn't terribly high, he has the kind of command that lets his stuff play up where he could spend the next decade manning the #4 or #5 slot.

I could also see Victor Caratini in deal in lieu of Alzolay. He's ready to play in the bigs right now. His arm is pretty much just average behind the plate, but he has good feet and is  improving his receiving. He makes his money primarily with the bat where he hit .342 in AAA last year.

I'd do that in a second, Alzolay is a good main piece for a closer with questions and 1 year of control.  I'm not even particularly high on Alzolay, but a good get none-the-less. 

The question is whether the operating philosophy truly is trying to win it in 2018.  If this is the case, then there is no way you trade Zach this winter.   You wait until the deadline.  If they trade him now for future pieces and he turns up a big time closer, then it just opens a hole in our pen making it that much harder to win it in 2018.     I was all for trading Zach in the winter of 2016, but now I think you just have to hold him and see if he can help you win a title in 2018 or sell him at the deadline.   

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The question is whether the operating philosophy truly is trying to win it in 2018.  If this is the case, then there is no way you trade Zach this winter.   You wait until the deadline.  If they trade him now for future pieces and he turns up a big time closer, then it just opens a hole in our pen making it that much harder to win it in 2018.     I was all for trading Zach in the winter of 2016, but now I think you just have to hold him and see if he can help you win a title in 2018 or sell him at the deadline.   

Well even if you are trying to go for it this season (not a sentiment I necessarily agree with), the trade proposed above would give the Orioles another Ynoa level rotation option in Tseng, but perhaps more of a starter's repertoire. It also frees up 12ish million dollars to pay a starter or eat money in a Trumbo trade.  In a limited resources scenario, it makes sense both for the future and for 2018. 

22 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If the O's could upgrade their 2018 rotation by trading Britton I think they may do that.   They have Brach, Givens and O'Day.  Depending on what other starters they acquire they may be Castro in the pen.  Yacabonis is also probably ready to make the jump to the majors.

Dan doesn't want to pay big money for a closer. Jim Johnson is a perfect example. The Orioles could pay Zach's 2018 contract and still finish in last place. Zach Britton is still a very good closer. However, the Orioles would actually have a better 2018 team if they could improve their rotation by trading him. I absolutely love Zach Britton but I hope that Dan trades him this off season. The Orioles simply have to many holes to fill.

That 10 mil or so in salary relief is also money you can throw in at acquiring an Alex Cobb or Lance Lynn.   

There are a number of mid-tier starters out there who could significantly improve our rotation.  I think signing two of them plus trading Britton for a young major league ready starter to put at the back of the rotation would set us up nicely for 2018.  

I'm up for just trading Britton for prospects but I don't see ownership/management signing off for that.  If we can get a major league ready starter plus a flyer prospect with some upside, I hope we take that deal.  

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

That 10 mil or so in salary relief is also money you can throw in at acquiring an Alex Cobb or Lance Lynn.   

There are a number of mid-tier starters out there who could significantly improve our rotation.  I think signing two of them plus trading Britton for a young major league ready starter to put at the back of the rotation would set us up nicely for 2018.  

I'm up for just trading Britton for prospects but I don't see ownership/management signing off for that.  If we can get a major league ready starter plus a flyer prospect with some upside, I hope we take that deal.  

I hope they take a deal like that too. Unfortunately the Orioles have a bad habit of waiting and taking the draft pick. I don't blame it on DD or Buck. This has been going on long before they got here.

25 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I hope they take a deal like that too. Unfortunately the Orioles have a bad habit of waiting and taking the draft pick. I don't blame it on DD or Buck. This has been going on long before they got here.

Britton will have to have a bounce back season to even get a pick.

7 hours ago, tntoriole said:

You're right. Why sell him now?  We're going to have the biggest payroll in club history. Machado hasn't signed an extension. Buck and DD are on one year deals. 

DD needs to crush it in FA or we are looking at the end of an era. Just hit on some FA stop gaps until our young position players and Harvey, Hall and Akin get here. 

Archived