GM Meetings

weams

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

You would rather the billionaire watching the game from a suite pockets more money instead?

How about neither the players or owners get it? MLB, and pro sports in general, could just stop gouging fans at an ever increasing rate?

I'm not naive enough to think that will ever happen, but it's getting to the point where the amount of money getting thrown around is just ridiculous. It's becoming a major turn off. I'm already to the point where I am about done attending sporting events live. Not that I can't afford it, but the principle.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

How about neither the players or owners get it? MLB, and pro sports in general, could just stop gouging fans at an ever increasing rate?

I'm not naive enough to think that will ever happen, but it's getting to the point where the amount of money getting thrown around is just ridiculous. It's becoming a major turn off. I'm already to the point where I am about done attending sporting events live. Not that I can't afford it, but the principle.

Well when enough people feel the way you feel and are willing to base their actions on those feelings there will be a change.  The money doesn't come from no where.

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

Well when enough people feel the way you feel and are willing to base their actions on those feelings there will be a change.  The money doesn't come from no where.

Just like Hollywood with movies, and musical groups/singers and concerts.

At some point, you have to say enough is enough, and for each of us that is a personal decision we have to make.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

I know, man.. I know... Supply and demand.

1 minute ago, Es4M11 said:

You're doing more for their bottom line by staying home and watching it on TV than you are going to the games. Teams make most of their money outside the ballpark these days.

Outside of that, I think the live experience at Camden Yards is pretty affordable. You can get a ticket for not much more than it costs to see a movie and you can bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages in with you.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Just like Hollywood with movies, and musical groups/singers and concerts.

At some point, you have to say enough is enough, and for each of us that is a personal decision we have to make.

I'm not exactly agreeing with the sentiment, I find the price of the entertainment options I choose to be reasonable.  Just saying that if one has a problem with the way something is priced, speaking with your wallet is more effective than speaking with your mouth.

2 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

You're doing more for their bottom line by staying home and watching it on TV than you are going to the games. Teams make most of their money outside the ballpark these days.

Outside of that, I think the live experience at Camden Yards is pretty affordable. You can get a ticket for not much more than it costs to see a movie and you can bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages in with you.

Movie Ticket = $12.50   / Ball Park Ticket = $20-40

Parking = Normally Free / Parking $10, unless you take light rail, and then figure in cost and parking, regardless, cost more at the ball game

Concessions is a push, both cost money, but you dont have to buy at either.

So movie is more affordable than a ball game. IMO

Just now, Babypowder said:

Camden Yards is one of the exceptions to the new rule.

And I guarantee you, I am more valuable to the orioles while physically in the ball park than I am at home. Up until this past season I usually went to around 10-15 games a year, and spent $100-150 while there just on myself if with friends, and more if I am bringing guests. I am not the type of person who buys merchandise, beyond my subscription fee to MASN, they get nothing from me at home.

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

I'm not exactly agreeing with the sentiment, I find the price of the entertainment options I choose to be reasonable.  Just saying that if one has a problem with the way something is priced, speaking with your wallet is more effective than speaking with your mouth.

Of course, you as the consumer controls what you do.

We complain about David Price making $31m per season.

Yet, top movie stars are raking in $65m per year.

Bottom line, we the consumer have to eat the costs, because of the rising costs of the entertainment.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Movie Ticket = $12.50   / Ball Park Ticket = $20-40

Parking = Normally Free / Parking $10, unless you take light rail, and then figure in cost and parking, regardless, cost more at the ball game

Concessions is a push, both cost money, but you dont have to buy at either.

So movie is more affordable than a ball game. IMO

I said a movie was more affordable. I'd also argue that a professional sports SHOULD be more than a movie. I was using at as a frame of reference.

Also, while it's pretty easy to sneak food and drink into a movie, it's not actually allowed. It is allowed at OPACY.

10 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Camden Yards is one of the exceptions to the new rule.

And I guarantee you, I am more valuable to the orioles while physically in the ball park than I am at home. Up until this past season I usually went to around 10-15 games a year, and spent $100-150 while there just on myself if with friends, and more if I am bringing guests. I am not the type of person who buys merchandise, beyond my subscription fee to MASN, they get nothing from me at home.

Teams make far more on television revenue in the industry today than they do at the stadium. They get your subscriber fees, and they get the ratings, which brings the ad revenue. Ballpark revenue is still important to them, but far less so than TV viewership.

Just now, Babypowder said:

Teams make far more on television revenue in the industry today than they do at the stadium. They get your subscriber fees, and they get the ratings, which brings the ad revenue. Ballpark revenue is still important to them, but far less so than TV viewership.

TV ratings and ad revenue are a whole other discussion.

Put it like this, where as before I would watch 140-150 games a year and attend 10-15, last year I only attended 1 game and watched the rest. That's upwards of $1500-2000 the club didn't get from me that they did in years past. My yearly subscription fee for MASN and the ad revenue I personally generate from watching their commercials is a small fraction of that amount of money -- and they were going to get that money one way or the other, but now they won't be getting my money at the ball park, too.

2 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

TV ratings and ad revenue are a whole other discussion.

Put it like this, where as before I would watch 140-150 games a year and attend 10-15, last year I only attended 1 game and watched the rest. That's upwards of $1500-2000 the club didn't get from me that they did in years past. My yearly subscription fee for MASN and the ad revenue I personally generate from watching their commercials is a small fraction of that amount of money -- and they were going to get that money one way or the other, but now they won't be getting my money at the ball park, too.

Of course they would rather have both, my point is that as long as you are still watching they're making their money. Attendance is already pretty bad, but the game is making more money than ever.

Archived