GM Meetings

weams

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Who do you think is the best out of that system that they'd leave open? Any starters? 

I’m not that versed in their prospects but once they decide who they are protecting I’ll probably come out with a list of targets, maybe do scouting reports if there’s nothing else more interesting to write about.

5 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I’m not that versed in their prospects but once they decide who they are protecting I’ll probably come out with a list of targets, maybe do scouting reports if there’s nothing else more interesting to write about.

Thank you. Do you think Cleveland's system would be good to raid again? 

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

You'd have to give the Giants a few pretty good prospects as well. Trumbo is a salary dump, Samardzija has real value.

Here is an article about it ...And 19 million for a bear 5 era is underperforming as well. They have him and Moore that were pretty bad last year, Moore still has a reasonable salary. They might ge looking to get that 19.5 off the books and despite his poor season Trumbo would have led the Giants in Dingers by a considerable margin.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/11/10/want-starting-pitching-orioles-need-look-potential-contract-swap-giants/

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Here is an article about it ...And 19 million for a bear 5 era is underperforming as well. They have him and Moore that were pretty bad last year, Moore still has a reasonable salary. They might ge looking to get that 19.5 off the books and despite his poor season Trumbo would have led the Giants in Dingers by a considerable margin.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/11/10/want-starting-pitching-orioles-need-look-potential-contract-swap-giants/

Samardzia has surplus value, if he was a free agent he’d get somewhere in the neighborhood of  4/100, I think he’s a better bet going forward the Arrieta.  He’s making 3/58.5.  The Orioles would probably have to give up serious prospects and that’s not counting the cost of getting them to take on Trumbo’s contract.  Maybe they have an incentive to clear Samardzija’s salary, there are plenty of teams that’d want him at that price.  Maybe they have an unnatural love for Trumbo. Even still the Orioles would have to give up significant prospect value.  That’s not saying it’s a bad idea for the Orioles if they are trying to extend the competitive window (not my preferred plan of action).

Mountcastle would be on the table as the centerpiece of a deal in that scenario if it involved getting rid of Trumbo and acquiring Samardzija.

32 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Samardzia has surplus value, if he was a free agent he’d get somewhere in the neighborhood of  4/100

In what world is that?    He’s a career 97 ERA+ pitcher, who’s had an ERA+ of 104 and then 95 since he was last a free agent and got 5/$90 mm.    I don’t see what he’s done the last two years to significantly enhance his value.   He’s two years older, is all.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In what world is that?    He’s a career 97 ERA+ pitcher, who’s had an ERA+ of 104 and then 95 since he was last a free agent and got 5/$90 mm.    I don’t see what he’s done the last two years to significantly enhance his value.   He’s two years older, is all.

Sixth most innings pitched in the last two years.  Average ERA for that many innings has serious value.  His FIP and xFIP and SIERA are noticeably better. The Giants defense was -42 DRS btw.  He had the best K%-BB% of his career in 2017.

Only steamer projections are out and projections aren’t perfect but they have Samardjiza much better in 2018 than Arrieta and when Zips comes out I suspect it’ll tell a similar story. Not saying Samardjiza is definitely better and Arrieta’s 2015 is far beyond anything Samardjiza has done but just saying it’s debatable.

39 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Sixth most innings pitched in the last two years.  Average ERA for that many innings has serious value.  His FIP and xFIP and SIERA are noticeably better. The Giants defense was -42 DRS btw.  He had the best K%-BB% of his career in 2017.

Only steamer projections are out and projections aren’t perfect but they have Samardjiza much better in 2018 than Arrieta and when Zips comes out I suspect it’ll tell a similar story. Not saying Samardjiza is definitely better and Arrieta’s 2015 is far beyond anything Samardjiza has done but just saying it’s debatable.

I don’t mean to denigrate Samardzija.    I just don’t think anyone would pay him 4/$100 mm.

10 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Next Monday at 8 pm is the deadline to protect Rule 5 eligible players.

So by Tuesday, should have a full idea of who is eligible to be taken by the Orioles.

The  Orioles have to have Satander on the roster to begin the season. I wonder if they can afford justify playing short to carry another?

Archived