GM Meetings

weams

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, weams said:

Buck also indicated with Santander a given, a rule five pick would be hard to keep this season.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I still think they’ll pick one.     Whether they keep him is another matter.

I don't see them being able to resist the temptation.

56 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Perhaps another "injury reclamation project" becomes available while they assess Santander's value.

By the way, the O’s are hardly unique in using the DL with Rule 5 guys.    I was looking at last year’s class and I think there were 6 picks who started the year on the DL.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, the O’s are hardly unique in using the DL with Rule 5 guys.    I was looking at last year’s class and I think there were 6 picks who started the year on the DL.

Good point.

And the Orioles are the not only team dumpster diving and injury reclamation project of veterans. Big payrolls teams just buy their needs, the rest have to work harder.

The Twins have voided their contract with young Dominican shortstop Jelfry Marte, according to a report from Ben Badler of Baseball America. The 16-year-old had agreed to a $3MM bonus.

Marte evidently did not pass his physical, with Badler citing a vision problem as the basis for the Twins’ action. The youngster is now a free agent and has begun once again showcasing for potential suitors.

Entering the most recent July 2 signing period, Marte was viewed as a “true shortstop,” as Badler phrased it. While Marte’s glovework and speed on the bases tantalized, there were some questions about his future at the plate. Those interested in reading more can check out Badler’s full and excellent coverage (subscription link).

Today’s news is fairly notable not only because it throws Marte back into the pool of open-market talent. It also leaves the Twins with a big chunk of international spending to  work with even as other organizations are mostly tapped out.

mlbtr

Archived