O’s Awarded the 33rd Pick

Frobby

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

From MLB website:

'" Unlike other Draft picks, Competitive Balance Draft picks can be traded. However, they can only be traded during the regular season and cannot be dealt simply in exchange for cash. Additionally, a Competitive Balance Draft pick can be traded only by the club to which it was awarded. In other words, the picks may be traded no more than once."

Thanks for the clarity. They can still trade the pick anytime and just refer to it as “future considerations.” And then, once the season starts, the transaction will be completed formally.

I hope DD keeps the pick. I have seen the high school kids in the upcoming draft up close as my son has played with and against them over the years. There is quite a bit of talent in this draft and #33 should get us a very talented addition. 

7 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

From MLB website:

'" Unlike other Draft picks, Competitive Balance Draft picks can be traded. However, they can only be traded during the regular season and cannot be dealt simply in exchange for cash. Additionally, a Competitive Balance Draft pick can be traded only by the club to which it was awarded. In other words, the picks may be traded no more than once."

This is the important part to know. It can't be traded until the first day of the regular season. 

Here's a scenario I could see happening,

• We sign a vet OF. Like a Seth Smith. 

• Hays has a good enough spring to show that he's ready. 

• We're not too confident with our rotation. 

After OD, I could see DD trading Trumbo,and the comp pick, to a team that has an MLB ready SP. 

A team like the Rays always seem to have extra SP and are losing some FA bats. Maybe like Odirizzi or more likely Matt Andriese. 

On 11/17/2017 at 5:41 AM, weams said:

Heck, they liked Aubrey Huff. 

What a disaster that was for the Giants.  They signed Huff as a free agent for three million in 2010.  He played every day with a 891 ops and came in 7th in the map voting.  The Giants also won the world series.

6 minutes ago, POR said:

What a disaster that was for the Giants.  They signed Huff as a free agent for three million in 2010.  He played every day with a 891 ops and came in 7th in the map voting.  The Giants also won the world series.

Like I said. Go for Trumbo!

10 minutes ago, POR said:

Huff’s a good example of why Trumbo’s bad 2017 doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be bad in 2018.    It’s a crazy game.   I’d trade Trumbo if we could because his skill set doesn’t really match what we need after Mancini’s emergence and the quick rise of Hays.    But if he’s back, I won’t head into 2018 assuming he’ll be awful.  We’ll see.

10 minutes ago, POR said:

Looking back, I forgot how good Huff was that year and in 2008, but also, how bad he was in 2009 and 2011 (like one of the worst players in baseball).  

The Giants did with Huff what the Orioles did with Trumbo (although the Giants had a better reason, with HUff worth 5.8 WAR in 2010 and Trumbo only being worth 2.2 WAR in 2016).  They cashed in on a reclamation project that they got for almost nothing.  Then they signed him for 2/22 and he proceeded to produce a total of -1.2 WAR over those two seasons.

21 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Must be traded during the season.  So next year Dan trades the pick to try and buoy a mediocre team.  The gambit fails but Dan tells us it's okay because they should have some picks coming from Manny and Jones walking.

You think they hit Jones with a QO?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think they hit Jones with a QO?

I wouldn't risk it as long as the team's outfield prospects (Stewart, Hays, Mullins) have a solid 2018.  He'd have to have a near 2015 like season to be in the position to turn a QO down.  

I think if they keep him around it'll need to be in a COF spot and they should start that experiment this season.  I hear people saying that he wouldn't want to do that going into his walk year.  I'd argue that it'd help his value going into free agency, baseball teams use defensive metrics when making decisions (teams have their own calculations in addition to the stats we fans see), and it's no secret his play in CF is lackluster at least.  I think letting him put up a season of data at a corner spot would help assure a team signing him to play such a position.

Archived