O's in discussions with Cubs, Almora Jr appears to be the target.

Roll Tide

The Orioles would only consider trading Gausman if they were getting a starting pitcher for 2018 in return. Won't be Lester or Quintana. Hendricks? Doesn't make much sense for the Cubs to do that. Eddie Butler? Doesn't make much sense for the Orioles to do that.

They would only trade for Schwarber if they were moving Trumbo or Davis in the process.

I doubt either of those two players would be involved in a Britton/Almora trade.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Britton makes sense for us, sure.  Problem in a trade is whether it makes sense for them.  I doubt a doubt filled Britton alone gets it done straight up for Almora.    I agree that no way should we be trading Gausman and that those are Cub reports that suggest this because obviously they too are looking for starting pitching, but no way it makes sense for us.  

Wade Davis had many question marks

29 minutes ago, weams said:

Wade Davis had many question marks

True...and it is a reasonable bet, but Soler was not Almora either.   Although at the time, Soler was ranked much higher up the prospect list...so who knows, maybe they would do a straight up.   

50 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The Orioles would only consider trading Gausman if they were getting a starting pitcher for 2018 in return. Won't be Lester or Quintana. Hendricks? Doesn't make much sense for the Cubs to do that. Eddie Butler? Doesn't make much sense for the Orioles to do that.

They would only trade for Schwarber if they were moving Trumbo or Davis in the process.

I doubt either of those two players would be involved in a Britton/Almora trade.

I agree, there's no way the Os move Gausman with the current state of the rotation.

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The article mentions Britton or Gausman but you have to assume that it's Britton. Thoughts?

http://www.12up.com/posts/5822867-report-orioles-express-interest-in-young-cubs-star?a_aid=40920

This would fit the Cubs mold of getting a closer with a year left on his contract. Makes a lot of sense for both clubs.

7 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I can't see them giving up Britton or Gausman for Almora, without instantly giving Almora a starting spot in the outfield. He is primarily a center fielder and has only made a handful of starts elsewhere in the outfield. Does that move Jones to right, Almora to center, and Mancini in left, with Trumbo DH'ing? If Hays is up, does Hays go to left and Mancini DH'ing?

Your last suggestion would give us a huge uptick in OF defense.

This would be a great trade, I think for both teams. Chicago takes the risk that Britton can bounce back to be one of the games best closers. Happ has come on in Chicago to play a lot of CF and they like Happ a lot, so Almora is the cost to take such a risk. It makes sense.

My hope is that the Orioles have smelled the coffee, and this is the beginning of a mini sell off. Maybe I am reading too much into it. Maybe I just want then to so badly that I am reaching here. But the options are there, and the chance to transform this team is in reach. You have to determine if a contract with Manny is possible. Right now. If not, he too has to be traded. Mike Moustakis is out there for the signing to replace Machado, and Moustakis will sign a deal that is much, much more reasonable than the Machado numbers that have been floated. Is Moustakis equal to Machado? No, but he is a really good third baseman who can be projected to supply 35+ HR power from the left side of the plate. At around 15M per for 4 or 5 years. So if Manny wants a 10 year, 300 M deal, trade him now. For as many prospects as you can get and replace him withh the much more realistic Moustakis. And....If Manny goes start shopping Jones too.

12 minutes ago, theobird said:

This would be a great trade, I think for both teams. Chicago takes the risk that Britton can bounce back to be one of the games best closers. Happ has come on in Chicago to play a lot of CF and they like Happ a lot, so Almora is the cost to take such a risk. It makes sense.

My hope is that the Orioles have smelled the coffee, and this is the beginning of a mini sell off. Maybe I am reading too much into it. Maybe I just want then to so badly that I am reaching here. But the options are there, and the chance to transform this team is in reach. You have to determine if a contract with Manny is possible. Right now. If not, he too has to be traded. Mike Moustakis is out there for the signing to replace Machado, and Moustakis will sign a deal that is much, much more reasonable than the Machado numbers that have been floated. Is Moustakis equal to Machado? No, but he is a really good third baseman who can be projected to supply 35+ HR power from the left side of the plate. At around 15M per for 4 or 5 years. So if Manny wants a 10 year, 300 M deal, trade him now. For as many prospects as you can get and replace him withh the much more realistic Moustakis. And....If Manny goes start shopping Jones too.

Both of those would be big overpays and neither makes any sense for the Cubs.

I'd do Britton for Almora straight up. It makes us younger and improves the outfield defense.  I'd see if I could get Alec Mills from the Cubs. He's their #20 prospect and doesn't project more then a backend starter but the Orioles need all the help they can get. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Trading Britton would shed salary, freeing up money for starting pitching.  

Exactly, trading Britton for Almora essentially boosts the budget by an additional 13M +/-.  So depending on who you listen to, that would boost our offseason spend from 35M to 48M.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I love the idea of getting this guy, but we need PITCHING! STARTING PITCHING! None of this matters without it.

It does matter because it would be a reallocation of resources. We free ourselves of 12 million in salary, plus plug an open OF spot too. We have way too much money tied up in the backend of the bullpen. 

That's more money we can throw at FA SP. Looking at the system our strategy for the next few years is develop our upper level bats and bullpen arms, while buying the SP. 

Archived