O’s have had initial dialogue with NYM and MIA

Sir_Loin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be real excited if the Os traded for Harvey. I know he had a rough year in 2017 on a cursed Mets team, but:

In 2013 he had a 5.2 rWAR. That's higher than Bundy or Gausman have ever gotten in a season.

The next year he pitched in, he had a 4.3 rWAR. That's higher than Bundy or Gausman have ever gotten in a season.

He's also 28 years old and made about 5.5 million last year. He could be a huge boost to the Os rotation if he was healthy and back to form.

3 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I'd be real excited if the Os traded for Harvey. I know he had a rough year in 2017 on a cursed Mets team, but:

In 2013 he had a 5.2 rWAR. That's higher than Bundy or Gausman have ever gotten in a season.

The next year he pitched in, he had a 4.3 rWAR. That's higher than Bundy or Gausman have ever gotten in a season.

He's also 28 years old and made about 5.5 million last year. He could be a huge boost to the Os rotation if he was healthy and back to form.

Big if. 2013 will be five years ago once the season starts. TJS and thoracic outlet surgery? Not a good combination.

That's true. But I think the Os are gonna need to look for some of those "ifs" in the trade market if they want any realistic chance of adding a really good starter.

Maybe it's not Harvey. But who could we realistically trade for that could be a #2-3 type starter next year? Gimme someone to hope for.

I'm not sure how much confidence I have in Harvey, but I think he would be a smart gamble. Maybe a Britton for Harvey swap? Both players will be UFA in 2019. 

Also, there might be potential for a Trumbo swap as well. The Mets have been linked to Bruce this offseason. Trumbo would provide a similar bat / mediocre fielder for less money and years of commitment. They could play him everyday at 1b until Dominic Smith is ready. They could also shift him to the OF if/when Cespedes inenvitably gets hurt. 

7 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Zero interest in Harvey. The successful recover rate of pitches who have had Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is is basically zero. They work their way back, struggle to not get dominated and are out of the league in a year or two.

Chris Young came back and pitched well for two seasons.  Clayton Richard had about 110 good innings the two years after his surgery before pitching a complete season with an 86 ERA+, which of course is an improvement over Tillman, Miley, and Jimenez.

At 1/6, I'd make that gamble if we are not giving up too much.  

Return of Chen? He is making a lot but maybe if we do something like Chen and Urena for Trumbo it could make it worth the big salary. For reference Chen is making 10m in 2018, 20m in 2019, 22m in 2020, and a vesting option for 16m in 2021 but we'd save the Trumbo money plus addition by subtraction by getting him off the roster and the 10m 2018 salary for Chen would leave flexibility to spend a little for the last year of the competitive window. 

23 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Zero interest in Harvey. The successful recover rate of pitches who have had Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is is basically zero. They work their way back, struggle to not get dominated and are out of the league in a year or two.

Didn't you say the Orioles should consider Jaime Garcia?

I'd gamble on Harvey if he's part of a Trumbo salary dump.  If he struggles as a starter he might make a productive reliever. Wouldn't want to give up anything in terms of prospects for him.

I'm not sure how we match up with Miami unless they literally want to dump salary and aren't expecting anything back.  If thats the case Dan Strailey is intriguing.  I don't see how we have the prospects to get a guy like Urena. 

14 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Chris Young came back and pitched well for two seasons.  Clayton Richard had about 110 good innings the two years after his surgery before pitching a complete season with an 86 ERA+, which of course is an improvement over Tillman, Miley, and Jimenez.

At 1/6, I'd make that gamble if we are not giving up too much.  

I agree with you. 

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Return of Chen? He is making a lot but maybe if we do something like Chen and Urena for Trumbo it could make it worth the big salary. For reference Chen is making 10m in 2018, 20m in 2019, 22m in 2020, and a vesting option for 16m in 2021 but we'd save the Trumbo money plus addition by subtraction by getting him off the roster and the 10m 2018 salary for Chen would leave flexibility to spend a little for the last year of the competitive window. 

No thank you.  Trumbo's contract is bad - Chen's is terrible.

Archived