Per Baseball Ref, Rafael Palmeiro seriously considering making a comeback to MLB

TommyPickles

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I bet he'd perform better than Davis.  Not in the field, but at the plate.

Can you use the DH for a position other than the pitcher?  Keep Davis in the field, let someone else hit for him?

Yes, I am saying our pitchers might hit better than Davis.

No.  Well, maybe in Little League, and I can see how you might get the Orioles confused with that.

1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

The O’s need OBP. They need to be creative the way the franchise used to be.

Where have you gone, Eddie Gaedel? Orioles Nation turns its lonely eyes to you. 

Eddie-Gaedel.jpg

o

Evasive Ed has left, and gone away ......... hey, hey, hey ........

o

20 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Evasive Ed has left, and gone away ......... hey, hey, hey ........

o

His life had a sad ending. Drank to excess, got in a lot of bar fights. About a decade after this stunt, he was mugged on his way home, suffered a terrible beating in that altercation and died of a heart attack after he made it home to his Mom’s house. He was 36. 

On second thought, he’ll be of no use to us. 

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

For some reason I thought that was possible.  Thanks for clearing that up.

You don't have to use the DH, but when you do it must be for the pitcher.  If you start without a DH you can't insert one later.  And if the DH moves to the mound or another defensive position you lose the DH for the rest of the game.

There have only been seven times in MLB history where a DH subsequently took the mound, so their team lost the DH but it didn't really matter because the DH was now pitching.  Two of those were in The Chris Davis Game: Davis, and the Red Sox' Darnell McDonald.  One of the others was the infamous game where Jose Canseco pitched and tore his UCL. 

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You don't have to use the DH, but when you do it must be for the pitcher.  If you start without a DH you can't insert one later.  And if the DH moves to the mound or another defensive position you lose the DH for the rest of the game.

There have only been seven times in MLB history where a DH subsequently took the mound, so their team lost the DH but it didn't really matter because the DH was now pitching.  Two of those were in The Chris Davis Game: Davis, and the Red Sox' Darnell McDonald.  One of the others was the infamous game where Jose Canseco pitched and tore his UCL. 

Yep, knew the other rules.  I think the reason I thought that is that I was watching Ken Burns' Baseball documentary a few weeks ago and they were going over the genesis of the DH and it said something about "...having a better hitting player bat for a weaker one" or something like that.  Didn't specify a pitcher.

Raffy should just stick to beer league softball at this point and let all the normal guys marvel at how far he can hit a softball.  Or maybe some kind of amateur over-30 league like they used to have around these parts (I believe Ken Dixon and John Stefaro played in it).  It's just sad watching try to play for an independent professional team with delusions that he can make a ML comeback in his early-mid 50's.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I would love to see it.  But  that still leaves Mancini in left field.  Trade Trumbo, move Mancini to 1B, and DH Raffy and I’m all in. ?

Or just DFA Davis, let Mancini and Trumbo split DH duties for a while, and play Raffy and Preston at second for a few games after the rosters expand.   Even I would pay to see that...lol. 

Archived