One scout's report on O's players

wildcard

Dan Connolly shares a scouts report on several O's players.   I agree with most on it but there are two points I think he misses on.

Jones plays hurt.  And it affects his performance.  His recovery from injuries is longer the old he gets.  I was surprised he didn't mention that.

Bundy does not have to be a flame thrower to be a #1 starter.  I disagree that with the scout that he is a #3.   I think he will be a #1 this coming season right up there with the best in the league because he has control, smarts, competitiveness, he has learned the league and he he is ready to pitch 200 innings.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/12/07/baltimore-orioles-one-scouts-thoughts-orioles-davis-jones-mancini-schoop-bundy/2/

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Dan Connolly shares a scouts report on several O's players.   I agree with most on it but there are two points I think he misses on.

Jones plays hurt.  And it affects his performance.  His recovery from injuries is longer the old he gets.  I was surprised he didn't mention that.

Bundy does not have to be a flame thrower to be a #1 starter.  I disagree that with the scout that he is a #3.   I think he will be a #1 this coming season right up there with the best in the league because he has control, smarts, competitiveness, he has learned the league and he he is ready to pitch 200 innings.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/12/07/baltimore-orioles-one-scouts-thoughts-orioles-davis-jones-mancini-schoop-bundy/2/

I'm curious about what you would be willing to give up in a trade for a player like Bundy? I think designating him as a #3 is pretty accurate.

14 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm curious about what you would be willing to give up in a trade for a player like Bundy? I think designating him as a #3 is pretty accurate.

I also agree he’s a number three. Now. But there’s room for improvement.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, of course, Bundy was not a #1 last year.  I think he can be next year.

I think he could be a number one in the future, but next season is optimistic. I don’t agree with the scout saying a three is probably all he is.

Pretty good take on all the players IMO. I do think it is fair to put a ceiling on Bundy as long as his FB stays at 94-95. Don't get me wrong. He knows how to pitch and he is still the best we have. I would not hesitate to pitch him in a big game (with plenty of rest). I could see him improving incrementally to a solid #2 type, but #3 right now seems fair. 

Is Dallas Keuchel a number 3?  He doesn't get his FB up above 94.  There will always be exceptions to "rules."  I think Bundy will be our number 1, and an elite number two if you put him on teams with a true ace, much like Keuchel was in the second half last season (when he was healthy.)

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Was his fastball 94-95 last year?  Combined with his other stuff,  that sounds good enough for #1 potential. 

Bundy was more like 91-95, but 95 wasn't extremely common from what I remember.  But i agree, if he can hit 95 in later innings, that is pretty elite.

I still have hopes for Bundy to be better than a no. 3.     I tend to agree with the scout that he doesn’t have the overwhelming stuff of a true ace like Scherzer.    But his pitchability is sky high, and will probably only get better with experience.   He just needs to learn to minimize the damage on the few days when he doesn’t have it.   He had 19 quality starts last year, but in the other 9 he allowed 5+ runs in 8 of them.

I was surprised that the scout thought Jones was still a 60 fielder and used to be 70+.     And in response to wildcard’s comment’s, I don’t see why the scout should have mentioned that Jones plays hurt a lot.    At the end of the day, that’s just part of the equation, and it’s true of many players.

I liked his comments about Schoop and Mancini.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I still have hopes for Bundy to be better than a no. 3.     I tend to agree with the scout that he doesn’t have the overwhelming stuff of a true ace like Scherzer.    But his pitchability is sky high, and will probably only get better with experience.   He just needs to learn to minimize the damage on the few days when he doesn’t have it.   He had 19 quality starts last year, but in the other 9 he allowed 5+ runs in 8 of them.

I was surprised that the scout thought Jones was still a 60 fielder and used to be 70+.     And in response to wildcard’s comment’s, I don’t see why the scout should have mentioned that Jones plays hurt a lot.    At the end of the day, that’s just part of the equation, and it’s true of many players.

I liked his comments about Schoop and Mancini.

FWIW Kershaw had 20 QS and Kluber had 22. Dylan is keeping some good company.

20 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

FWIW Kershaw had 20 QS and Kluber had 22. Dylan is keeping some good company.

I thought he had a better year than his ERA reflected, because he gave us a good start in more than 2/3 of his outings.    But when he was bad, he let things get out of hand a bit too much.  Kershaw allowed 5+ runs one time; Kluber did it 3 times.   Part of being a TOR starter is being able to minimize damage and hang in there on the days you don’t have your best stuff.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought he had a better year than his ERA reflected, because he gave us a good start in more than 2/3 of his outings.    But when he was bad, he let things get out of hand a bit too much.  Kershaw allowed 5+ runs one time; Kluber did it 3 times.   Part of being a TOR starter is being able to minimize damage and hang in there on the days you don’t have your best stuff.    

How many # 3's and 4's with 19 QS?

40 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

How many # 3's and 4's with 19 QS?

First of all, nobody called Bundy a no. 4, did they?

Second of all, only 22 pitchers in MLB threw 19+ QS.   Almost all of them had a better ERA than Bundy (4.24).   The ones who didn’t include R.A. Dickey (4.26), Gerrit Cole (4.26), Jeff Samardzija (4.42), and Rick Porcello (4.65).   Different people have different definitions of what a no. 3 starter means, so I’ll leave it for you to decide if those guys are no. 3 (or worse) starters as you define it.    The average starter ERA in 2017 was 4.49.

Archived