Peter Angelos - Man of Principles

NCRaven

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I did read it, and while it’s certainly possible that Angelos won’t allow the Orioles to bid on a posted player due to moral objections related to his career as a pro-labor litigator, he’s never stated that publicly, so the author is really just guessing in my opinion.   Duquette has spoken on the topic before, without indicating that the owner has moral qualms about the posting system:  https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-duquette-talks-about-the-japanese-posting-system-20131226-story,amp.html

Well, the common view that he's difficult, eccentric, and cheap, is also speculation.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Well, the common view that he's difficult, eccentric, and cheap, is also speculation.

I don’t think it is speculating at all to say that he is difficult or eccentric. And while I do not agree with all of his choices regarding when to spend and for whom,  I think he has a track record that is unquestionably not cheap. 

3 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I don’t think it is speculating at all to say that he is difficult or eccentric. And while I do not agree with all of his choices regarding when to spend and for whom,  I think he has a track record that is unquestionably not cheap. 

Signing Davis certainly wasn’t cheap. Cheap? No. Dumb? Yes.

I think his view of his legacy is different then a vast majority of Orioles fans when it comes to the team. I pray for the day when his regime ends. I don't want to sign every fa to 200 million dollars but I'd like to at least see moves that makes sense and help the team.

23 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think "difficult" is well documented.

I don't know or care whether he's "eccentric," except insofar as his eccentricities involve things like making stupid player personnel, undercutting team executives, firing or driving away valued employees, screwing up the MASN deal, that sort of thing.

I have never called him "cheap." What I have said is that he appears to have dictated foolish decisions about how to spend and how not to spend money on the Orioles. (I also have said repeatedly, in the context of the difficulty I have in judging Duquette's performance because I can only infer or guess who made certain decisions, that Angelos has been a coward in refusing to say publicly what decisions he has made.)

I just want ownership to sign a GM (DD or other) and let ALL baseball decisions go through the GM within a stated budget (not just payroll but overall expenditure, including scouting, player development, IFA bonuses, posting fees, etc.).  

Then he (and we as fans) could truly assess how well a GM runs a team.  Right now it's totally a mystery from the outside exactly what DD could or couldn't do. If he wanted to offer Arrieta more than any other team, could he? If he wanted to go for top IFA instead of trading slots, could he?  If he wanted to trade Gausman, could he? I don't know for sure, and neither does any of the fans unfortunately. 

15 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I think "difficult" is well documented.

I don't know or care whether he's "eccentric," except insofar as his eccentricities involve things like making stupid player personnel, undercutting team executives, firing or driving away valued employees, screwing up the MASN deal, that sort of thing.

I have never called him "cheap." What I have said is that he appears to have dictated foolish decisions about how to spend and how not to spend money on the Orioles. (I also have said repeatedly, in the context of the difficulty I have in judging Duquette's performance because I can only infer or guess who made certain decisions, that Angelos has been a coward in refusing to say publicly what decisions he has made.)

Well said. 

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

Don't post here much. Lifelong Orioles fan who can't believe how pathetic our front office and ownership is. Can't wait to see who we  pull out of the dumpster this offseason.

Just a couple of posts above this one.......Matt Harvey and Francisco Liriano.

I'm going to bed.

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What was his track record while GM in Montreal and Boston when it came to signing IFA's.    That might go a long way towards answering your question.

I think I know the answers to those questions, I know DD doesn't have free reign, but the fact that it's up in the air at all is troubling.  The GM should be in charge of baseball decisions.  If the owner doesn't like the baseball decisions the GM makes, then you hire a new GM.

As an owner, PA hurts the competitiveness of our team. 

It's okay to have Schoop at 2B as an all star while he is pre-FA, but it is inappropriate to invest a couple $M internationally each season?  PA probably costs us two quality international prospects each year through our non-participation.

I used to defend PA quite a bit here.  I think PA has done a lot of good to keep baseball in Bmore and he has invested heavily into the farm system in the past with poor results because of poor SDs, but PA has also hired poor GMs.  I think he meddles far less in personnel decisions than folks think.  I think it is clear in recent years that most Os owners are enjoying tremendous profits from their Os/MASN investments and this is very discouraging considering the lack of investment relative to other teams in our talent acquisition process.  

9 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think I know the answers to those questions, I know DD doesn't have free reign, but the fact that it's up in the air at all is troubling.  The GM should be in charge of baseball decisions.  If the owner doesn't like the baseball decisions the GM makes, then you hire a new GM.

Well, less be honest.  That is how it works for most organizations in most sports.  It hasn't been that way here since the old man outsmarted his GM and talked em into keeping Bonilla and all and got the O's into the playoffs in 96 if not before.

Archived