So why haven't there been extension talks with Manny in 2 years?

interloper

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

I mean, at the time - Manny had bad knees and was throwing bats at people, so I guess I get why they didn't go all in on an extension. But, I completely agree, they definitely should have. He clearly had amazing talent and at worst - if his knees got bad - you had a 1B/DH who could hit.

Hopefully the O's learn their lesson and lock up their young talent in the future.

Manny doesn't have bad knees, he had a condition that he was born with and has been corrected, he isnt prone for more injuries there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mcgraw238 said:

Your faith in PA as an owner is much greater than mine. I wish I had your optimism. 

Fact, the team has had several winning seasons since Buck as been here.

The minors are producing players now, look at Manny, Schoop, Bundy, Gausman, and there are more in the system that look like they are coming along fine.

I don't think its unrealistic to believe this franchise is not the same as from the dark years.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Fact, the team has had several winning seasons since Buck as been here.

The minors are producing players now, look at Manny, Schoop, Bundy, Gausman, and there are more in the system that look like they are coming along fine.

I don't think its unrealistic to believe this franchise is not the same as from the dark years.

Emerging from the dark years and functioning like first class organization are 2 different things. Aside from Schoop (an International signing ironically enough), you rattled off 3 top 4 draft picks, so I'm not sure those are the best examples of producing unless you think we will be revisiting those draft slots. There is some solid talent in the system at the moment which is a good sign, but don't mistake the O's as having a top farm system, they don't, it's still middle of the pack which is simply not good enough given all the other limitations the organization faces. 

I've enjoyed the winning season, but I'm concerned that the winning seasons are about to be a distant memory given (1) the strength of the Yankees and Red Sox, (2) the core of winning seasons group has run its course, and (3) the organization's refusal to embrace all aspects of developing cost controlled talent and locking up that talent before it reaches free agency. 

So, it doesn't have to be the same as the dark years to not be good enough.

I think because Manny was/is intent on breaking the bank as a FA.  I'm sure the Orioles probably tried to sign him to a nice deal like they did with Markakis and Jones, and Manny probably said thanks, but no thanks.  After that point, what is their really to talk about?

5 minutes ago, mcgraw238 said:

Emerging from the dark years and functioning like first class organization are 2 different things. Aside from Schoop (an International signing ironically enough), you rattled off 3 top 4 draft picks, so I'm not sure those are the best examples of producing unless you think we will be revisiting those draft slots. There is some solid talent in the system at the moment which is a good sign, but don't mistake the O's as having a top farm system, they don't, it's still middle of the pack which is simply not good enough given all the other limitations the organization faces. 

I've enjoyed the winning season, but I'm concerned that the winning seasons are about to be a distant memory given (1) the strength of the Yankees and Red Sox, (2) the core of winning seasons group has run its course, and (3) the organization's refusal to embrace all aspects of developing cost controlled talent and locking up that talent before it reaches free agency. 

So, it doesn't have to be the same as the dark years to not be good enough.

I didnt say they have a top system, they have gone from near dead last to middle of the road, which is significant improvement in my book.

I rattled off draft slots, because that what a team does, they draft the player, and groom him for a spot on the roster, and when he makes it, you have to consider that a success, when the odds are stacked against the prospect making it.

The team may not have the class as some of the other systems, but, from what Ive been told by the posters in the "know". The team travels well and doesn't try to nickel and dime costs, like some teams do.

I will agree that the team doesn't have first class organization on handling season ticket holders.

Agree with RZ's take. Looking back, it seems like Chris Davis got Manny's extension. In retrospect, we should have let Davis walk and given Manny that money in some form. Would Manny's camp have gone for a 5 year-160 million deal two years ago? 

Sigh.... 

1 minute ago, jtschrei said:

Agree with RZ's take. Looking back, it seems like Chris Davis got Manny's extension. In retrospect, we should have let Davis walk and given Manny that money in some form. Would Manny's camp have gone for a 5 year-160 million deal two years ago? 

Sigh.... 

I dont believe he would, I dont ever remember seeing figures, but I suspect Boras was wanting extremely top dollar.

37 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I didnt say they have a top system, they have gone from near dead last to middle of the road, which is significant improvement in my book.

I rattled off draft slots, because that what a team does, they draft the player, and groom him for a spot on the roster, and when he makes it, you have to consider that a success, when the odds are stacked against the prospect making it.

The team may not have the class as some of the other systems, but, from what Ive been told by the posters in the "know". The team travels well and doesn't try to nickel and dime costs, like some teams do.

I will agree that the team doesn't have first class organization on handling season ticket holders.

I'll just leave it at my opinion is the O's don't do enough things the right way to overcome the big money clubs and I'm pretty sure most of that is driven by Angelos. I'm not saying the club is bad in all aspects, heck I spoke with Brach this time last year and he was very complimentary of a lot of stuff the O's do relative to his previous employer. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

I really dont know, but the Sun has Boras comments saying he's had discussions with Angelos and Duquette about Machado. Also doesnt want them trading Britton.   http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-boras-20171213-story.html

Weird.  I wonder if he just doesn't want the O's selling off because it could impact his clients?

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Duquette admitted as much, for some reason. It makes him sound incompetent out of context, but he didn't really provide any context or reasoning. In text, it just sounds like he wasn't interested in extending Manny. 

What possible reason could there be for :

a) not trying to hold extension talks over the last two years

b) admitting to that

LOLOL yeah the decision to pay Manny 300m is Dan Duquette's. Right. He is so incompetent. I mean what GM would want that guy anchoring the team for the next 10 years?

Archived