Will the Orioles sign Mike Moustakas if they trade Manny?

Diehard_O's_Fan

No one is talking about who will play third base if the Orioles trade Manny. Will the Orioles sign Mike Moustakas if they trade Manny? Which other teams might be interested in Moustakas? There doesn't seem to be much of a market for Moustakas. I would love for the Orioles to sign him. Any chance of that happening? Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

No one is talking about who will play third base if the Orioles trade Manny. Will the Orioles sign Mike Moustakas if they trade Manny? Which other teams might be interested in Moustakas? There doesn't seem to be much of a market for Moustakas. I would love for the Orioles to sign him. Any chance of that happening? Thoughts?

I highly doubt it.  They'll probably go with a one year stop gap until Mountcastle is ready, unless they acquire someone in a putative Machado trade.

To me, that's the perfect scenario. Living out here in Royals land I can tell you that Mike Moustakis is an outstanding player, and a guy whose power has always been knocked down a bit playing in the K. I think he is a 40+ HR a year guy playing in OPACY and the AL east. And he is that LH bat this team really needs. I would be trying to trade Manny for young pitching, and young pitching only. I would be asking the Cards for Weaver, Flaherty and Monger. I don't want Wong, I don't want Gyorko and I don't think Wacha will ever pitch like he did early on again. If they would put up those three young pitchers I pull the trigger, and then go get Mike Moustakis because I think the Moose is a monster in OPACY.

36 minutes ago, theobird said:

To me, that's the perfect scenario. Living out here in Royals land I can tell you that Mike Moustakis is an outstanding player, and a guy whose power has always been knocked down a bit playing in the K. I think he is a 40+ HR a year guy playing in OPACY and the AL east. And he is that LH bat this team really needs. I would be trying to trade Manny for young pitching, and young pitching only. I would be asking the Cards for Weaver, Flaherty and Monger. I don't want Wong, I don't want Gyorko and I don't think Wacha will ever pitch like he did early on again. If they would put up those three young pitchers I pull the trigger, and then go get Mike Moustakis because I think the Moose is a monster in OPACY.

I can't figure out why no one brings up Weaver (other than you and me) when they speculate on Cardinal targets. It's all Flaherty, Flaherty, Flaherty and Wacha. I've said this before, but there has to be a reason the Cardinals try to get Wacha out of their starting rotation every spring. I think he's a mediocre pitcher and would drop down to a below average pitcher if he pitched in the AL East. I think we'd be better off targeting young arms with upside, as opposed to 26 year old mediocre pitchers who have already reached their full potential.

8 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

No I don't think will.

6 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

This is what I proposed before we got Beckham, and I would deal Beckham if Manny wants to play SS after he signs an extension if Moustakis came cheap enough. If Manny is dealt, sure. I'd go for him and his market, along with Hosmer's; has failed to develop. Making it easier for us to potentially sign him.

Hah, Manny extension *and* Moustakas...I don't see that happening. Wouldn't fit with a rebuild scenario either. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I can't figure out why no one brings up Weaver (other than you and me) when they speculate on Cardinal targets. It's all Flaherty, Flaherty, Flaherty and Wacha. I've said this before, but there has to be a reason the Cardinals try to get Wacha out of their starting rotation every spring. I think he's a mediocre pitcher and would drop down to a below average pitcher if he pitched in the AL East. I think we'd be better off targeting young arms with upside, as opposed to 26 year old mediocre pitchers who have already reached their full potential.

People don't bring up Weaver because he's likely untouchable.  People talk Wacha because they know it makes sense that the Cardinals want to replace him and his salary.  The Orioles get a competent starter for one of their three rotation spots as they attempt to put a team on the field. Wacha wouldn't be the target, but a piece to make it work.

They'd probably be more likely to trade Reyes than Weaver at this point.

I worry a bit about Moustakas because he was the guy that was supposed to be good but didn't quite put it together for a few years...then suddenly has a power surge.  I admit to not following the Royals much, so maybe he just clicked but his BA and OBP aren't great...it's the slugging that's come on recently.  Maybe that's a good thing in OPACY but...

3 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

I worry a bit about Moustakas because he was the guy that was supposed to be good but didn't quite put it together for a few years...then suddenly has a power surge.  I admit to not following the Royals much, so maybe he just clicked but his BA and OBP aren't great...it's the slugging that's come on recently.  Maybe that's a good thing in OPACY but...

The things I worry about are the defensive decline and his huge jump in swinging strikes (it hasn't shown up in strikeout rate yet).  He also has slowed down significantly in the last 2 years according to statcast sprint speed and is a baseclogger (barely faster than Wieters and one of the slowest 3B which doesn't bode well for his defense as he ages). 

With Cozart getting close to $13 million a year, I would guess Moustakas will be in the 18-20 range. That is an overpay that would help keep Baltimore in last place. 

I don't think they trade Manny, but if they do I believe the return will not be close to some of trade ideas here. If they do move Manny they need to keep moving forward with other trades and prepare for 2019 or 20. 

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

With Cozart getting close to $13 million a year, I would guess Moustakas will be in the 18-20 range. That is an overpay that would help keep Baltimore in last place. 

I don't think they trade Manny, but if they do I believe the return will not be close to some of trade ideas here. If they do move Manny they need to keep moving forward with other trades and prepare for 2019 or 20. 

I think Cozart is the better player going forward, at least for the next 3 years.  While he is older, he hasn't shown symptoms of decline, and he actually has made real changes to his swing that has led to improvement.  I don't think he's as good as his 2017, but I think he's an average to above average regular for the next 3 years.

Archived