Is Dan Waiting on Machado Before Doing Anything Else?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think DJ Stewart is ready for a role like that, he's a better defender in LF than Mancini and hits RHP well.  He's also a good baserunner and brings some much needed OBP skills.

I agree, I think that's a role that fits Stewart. It's crazy that just two years ago many people were writing him off, including myself. 

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If at this point none of the offers are what you want, then perhaps it's time to give the teams your final offer and walk away. Keep him till the trade deadline and see what happens.

This is a fans approach.  Arguably the best trade in Orioles history (Bedard) dragged on much longer than this has.  I for one am glad that DD is being patient and waiting for better offers.  It only takes one team to cave and decide they'll give up more.  

I think people inherently like to buy things and over time decide that what was originally too expensive isn't.  We'll see!

2 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I agree, I think that's a role that fits Stewart. It's crazy that just two years ago many people were writing him off, including myself. 

It has everything to due with his extreme crouch batting stance and some conditioning issues, most scouts saw it and wrote him off.  Well he's changed it significantly to the point it's workable and he's also improved his fitness.

40 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Moving Schoop is much better than Davis at 3B IMO.  Davis was poor there when he was young, faster, and more agile.  Schoop at his size will most likely end up at 3B eventually if the Orioles extend him.

Schoop was pretty bad when they tried him there before too. And Schoop blocks 2B better than anyone aiding in alot of runners being thrown out at 2B. The defense is going to suffer either way at 3B. I don't want it to suffer at 2B too.

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Schoop was pretty bad when they tried him there before too. And Schoop blocks 2B better than anyone aiding in alot of runners being thrown out at 2B. The defense is going to suffer either way at 3B. I don't want it to suffer at 2B too.

I thought this speculation was being based on a post about acquiring Kingery, I'd assume he'd play 2B, he's good there defensively, perhaps an upgrade to Schoop.

27 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

This is a fans approach.  Arguably the best trade in Orioles history (Bedard) dragged on much longer than this has.  I for one am glad that DD is being patient and waiting for better offers.  It only takes one team to cave and decide they'll give up more.  

I think people inherently like to buy things and over time decide that what was originally too expensive isn't.  We'll see!

Bedard had more team control and was a SP. Manny is holding up free agency and alot of teams off-season. They won't wait it out, even if the Orioles want to take their time.

I don't want the Orioles to panic and rush either. But id be shocked if a trade is made at this point.

19 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I thought this speculation was being based on a post about acquiring Kingery, I'd assume he'd play 2B, he's good there defensively, perhaps an upgrade to Schoop.

No, Schoop has been the name mentioned going to 3B in every Machado trade scenario that didn't involve a 3B coming back. 

Schoop looked lost at 3B when they tried him there a few years back. He's a very good 2B. 2B isn't broke, so no need to fix it.

In any scenario, I leave Schoop at 2B. 

12 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

No, Schoop has been the name mentioned going to 3B in every Machado trade scenario that didn't involve a 3B coming back. 

Schoop looked lost at 3B when they tried him there a few years back. He's a very good 2B. 2B isn't broke, so no need to fix it.

In any scenario, I leave Schoop at 2B. 

Ok, my comment was in regards to a comment by a poster who suggested getting the Phillies 2B prospect (Kingery) back in a trade for Machado specifically.

2 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

Maybe I have missed it somewhere, but has anybody mentioned that with the Galvis trade Philly now has an opening at SS. I know they have talked about their prospect Crawford but I feel like a Manny to Phils trade makes a lot of sense for the Os.  If we get back two pitchers (one close to ready, one younger) and the 2nd base prospect that could be a trade we win.

19 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Ok, my comment was in regards to a comment by a poster who suggested getting the Phillies 2B prospect (Kingery) back in a trade for Machado specifically.

I understand that. Hence why I said I leave Schoop at 2B in any scenario. If you plan on extending Schoop, you don't need a 2B as part of a Machado trade. If you don't plan on extending Schoop, trade him now too. Otherwise, you haven't learned from your Machado mistake.

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He played a total of 17 games at 3B.    It's silly to make a determination by that.   There is no reason why Schoop should not be at least average but probably above average 3B.    He's good at 2B but his range is definitely average at best (probably below).     I doubt the Orioles are going to move Schoop which means a guy like Gyorko is probably coming back in a Cards deal instead of Wong (whose offensive profile I prefer).

I didn' say he was going to be a bad 3B. I said he looked bad there when they tried him. My main point, why have him focus on a new position when it looks like he's finally found himself at the plate.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That's a fair point.   Yeah, I don't think the Orioles are about to fool with Schoop after the season he had last year.

I do agree, I think Schoop could handle 3B and probably become a pretty good one. I just don't want to risk it setting him back offensively (where most of his value is either way)

I hope they lock Schoop up and just leave him at 2B for a few years. There are too many holes the Orioles need to fill with a Machado trade, and I don't think 2B is a hole right now. If we lose Machados bat, I don't want Schoops bat suffering worrying about learning a new position. That's all. I wasn't knocking Schoops ability at 3B. 

45 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I’m not worried about the 14 games Schoop started at 3B in 2014, all but one of which were in the first month of his rookie year.    Schoop has learned a lot about Major League Baseball since then. He has the skill set to be a solid 3B, in my opinion, if that’s what fits the team’s needs.   

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

To some extent, he has to.   What we get for Manny may determine what else we have to do to fill out the pitching rotation.

He did get four new pitchers Thursday.

They have said a LH bat is a priority.   But until we trade Manny, we don't know if that LH bat has to be an OF/DH or whether it could be a third baseman.

And after he doesn't trade Manny? Which I don't think he will. I think Angelos and DD will mess things up in that department. 

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I did the same thing this spring.

I like that idea, I think Jones to RF is overdue. I'd trade Brach as well and sign Nicasio to be the set-up man to Mychal Givens. Acquiring Almora also serves the purpose of making it easier to move Mullins, Santander, or Stewart in a deal for pitching.

Nicasio signed with Mariners on Friday.

Archived