Is Dan Waiting on Machado Before Doing Anything Else?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, foxfield said:

So, I will ask a follow up...If Peter is not meddling, is it fair to say he has done a poor job of stacking advisors who can intellectually agree on a direction and work together to achieve it?

I have to disagree with Connolly that listening to a room full of advisers and making decisions based on their opinions somehow =/= meddling.

2 hours ago, joeyc said:

Then we will be offered even less. The closer Manny gets to free agency, the less teams will be willing to give up for a few month rental. The Whitesox would no longer be interested because there opportunity to sign him long term will be greatly reduced.

This needs to get done now.

Manny doesn't get any closer to free agency between today and opening day.  So, why does it have to get done "now" versus tomorrow or Wednesday if those days result in a better deal?

I think everyone is glossing over the main point in Connolly's piece.  Everyone now agrees that Manny should be traded.  To the point that even a trade to the Yankees may be possible if it's the best deal on the table.  That's the take away, not the history crap.

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think everyone is glossing over the main point in Connolly's piece.  Everyone now agrees that Manny should be traded.  To the point that even a trade to the Yankees may be possible if it's the best deal on the table.  That's the take away, not the history crap.

That’s fine but what if one of his advisors does not like the deal? Then what? 

History has a way of repeating itself. 

3 hours ago, foxfield said:

So, I will ask a follow up...If Peter is not meddling, is it fair to say he has done a poor job of stacking advisors who can intellectually agree on a direction and work together to achieve it?

Yes, he’s done a poor job. There’s no excuse for not letting Duquette make these decisions and have him take responsibility for them. Whether you love him or hate him Duquette is the guy Angelos hired to make those decisions. If he doesn’t do the job you get someone else.

There’s no accountability. Having a myriad of counselors to which the owner sifts through bypasses the point of of even having one guy in charge of baseball decisions, including roster construction and payroll.

If Angelos hasn’t meddled he’s certainly made it no easier on the people in the chain of command.

8 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I agree. I think his time has come. He deserves a chance.

I hope Brady gets a chance at somepoint with this team and does well.

For everybody on the dislike DD page, keep in mind, replacing DD, doesn't mean, you get a better GM, either.

We have had many far worse here.

Why do I get the feeling Buck pulls the end-around on Duquette? Exhibit A, Chris Davis. It almost seems like he and Angelos work on the bigger deals without Duquette. Duquette is there for the scrap-heap deals. I wonder if they even let him sit at the grown-ups table or if he is relegated to the kiddies table.

And if Angelos has this inner circle of folks he trusts, why haven't any of those cracking good baseball minds made him see the light on opt-outs, the international draft, the posting system, the importance of good starting pitchers (sure, it's scary and it very well might not work but investing in Yovani Gallardo is never the right answer) and that trades for prospects are sometimes OK too. I get the impression Petah likes major league players coming back to the Orioles in deals of any consequence.

Didn't the Rangers have some pitching prospects that could have been part of the Koji Uehara deal but Andy MacPhail (because of Angelos?) chose Tommy Hunter and Chris Davis ... two players who had been up in the majors. Granted, I don't think anything became of the prospects, but I still get the impression Angelos tries to avoid prospect deals. Probably because, in his mind, no one has heard of the players. I could see him favoring RZNJ's scenario of Michael Wacha and Jed Gyorko as two pieces for Machado ... hey, those are major leaguers!

12 minutes ago, Rockford said:

Why do I get the feeling Buck pulls the end-around on Duquette? Exhibit A, Chris Davis. It almost seems like he and Angelos work on the bigger deals without Duquette. Duquette is there for the scrap-heap deals. I wonder if they even let him sit at the grown-ups table or if he is relegated to the kiddies table.

And if Angelos has this inner circle of folks he trusts, why haven't any of those cracking good baseball minds made him see the light on opt-outs, the international draft, the posting system, the importance of good starting pitchers (sure, it's scary and it very well might not work but investing in Yovani Gallardo is never the right answer) and that trades for prospects are sometimes OK too. I get the impression Petah likes major league players coming back to the Orioles in deals of any consequence.

Didn't the Rangers have some pitching prospects that could have been part of the Koji Uehara deal but Andy MacPhail (because of Angelos?) chose Tommy Hunter and Chris Davis ... two players who had been up in the majors. Granted, I don't think anything became of the prospects, but I still get the impression Angelos tries to avoid prospect deals. Probably because, in his mind, no one has heard of the players. I could see him favoring RZNJ's scenario of Michael Wacha and Jed Gyorko as two pieces for Machado ... hey, those are major leaguers!

While we don’t know for sure how these decisions take place, I’d be willing to bet that you are more right than wrong.

Archived