Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That is a steal for the dbacks. We shoulda been all over that deal. I still like Jay. Better OBP.  Isn’t just some slap hitter. Remember OPACY has a pretty small OF, not a lot of square feet out there for singles to land. 

I saw that Royals OF in person gobble up double after double in Camden Yards a few years back.

41 minutes ago, weams said:

Well, Jay and Gonzalez are better. So I would see it as a base for them.

Classic case of how offense pays more than defense.    Dyson has been worth 15.4 rWAR in his career but has an OPS+ of 85, raw OPS of .677.    He’s never made more than $2.8 mm before now.   Jay has a career rWAR of 13.1 and OPS+ of 103 (.738), and last year made $8 mm.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Classic case of how offense pays more than defense.    Dyson has been worth 15.4 rWAR in his career but has an OPS+ of 85, raw OPS of .677.    He’s never made more than $2.8 mm before now.   Jay has a career rWAR of 13.1 and OPS+ of 103 (.738), and last year made $8 mm.

Maybe a cheap way to contend.  Load your team with mediocre hitters who are great fielders. 

8 minutes ago, cimota said:

Maybe a cheap way to contend.  Load your team with mediocre hitters who are great fielders. 

Seattle tried that a few years ago and it failed miserably.    However, you could argue that the 2014 Royals fit that description.   

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That is a steal for the dbacks. We shoulda been all over that deal. I still like Jay. Better OBP.  Isn’t just some slap hitter. Remember OPACY has a pretty small OF, not a lot of square feet out there for singles to land. 

I like Jay or Cargo better than Dyson personally as well.

12 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Arrietta looks like he is headed to the Phillies from multiple reports. It could get announced in next 24 hours.

not really buying into that.

MLBTR:

The Phillies are “having dialogue” with Jake Arrieta and his representatives, according to Jon Heyman of Fan Rag (via Twitter). While there’s currently a “gap” between the sides’ bargaining positions, it seems there’s at least some real interest being explored.

Philadelphia has long been cited as a possible landing spot for Arrieta, but this is the firmest indication yet that they organization is really looking into the move. Of course, multiple recent reports have emphasized that the Phils don’t want to lock into a long-term deal to improve their rotation, and that motivation no doubt remains a major factor.

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Three way trade between TB, NYY, and AZ.  

Yankees receive Drury

AZ receives Souza Jr.

TB receives a Yankees prospect.

I wonder if the Diamondbacks circled back to the Orioles on Manny after losing JD Martinez to the Red Sox.  

Hearing the prospect is a 2Bman named Solak.

Archived