Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

I gotta think this coming week is the week the logjam breaks and we start to see something happening with the major free agents.

The holidays are over.   The northeast and mid-Atlantic are coming out of their drastic cold spell   And it's just 5 weeks until pitchers and catchers report.   Players and their families are going to want to know where they are heading for spring training, managers are antsy to know who they're going to have on their team.

I see no logical reason for the big free agents to wait any longer.   What do they gain?  Is it that none wants to be the first to sign because they are afraid as the dominos fall the last guys to sign will get more from teams desperate to fill holes?

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I gotta think this coming week is the week the logjam breaks and we start to see something happening with the major free agents.

The holidays are over.   The northeast and mid-Atlantic are coming out of their drastic cold spell   And it's just 5 weeks until pitchers and catchers report.   Players and their families are going to want to know where they are heading for spring training, managers are antsy to know who they're going to have on their team.

I see no logical reason for the big free agents to wait any longer.   What do they gain?  Is it that none wants to be the first to sign because they are afraid as the dominos fall the last guys to sign will get more from teams desperate to fill holes?

Turn this on it's head. What teams are desperate to sign these guys? That old luxury tax looms. And they want money to spend next year. I think Jake takes a pillow.

On 1/7/2018 at 12:51 PM, SteveA said:

Well ST is five weeks away. So maybe there will be some moves made. 

32 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-buzz-trade-talk-deals-and-rumors/c-260657722

Astros in serious talks for Gerrit Cole. If they get him, wonder if any of their other starters would be on the block.

I would imagine the starting five would be: Verlander, Keuchel, McCullers, Coles and Morton. That would push Peacock to the pen and as a swing man, sixth starter. I would think McHugh now becomes (even more) available via trade as Musgrove, Paulino, Martes, etc. all serve as adequate rotation depth.

23 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

jeff Passan just tweeted that a deal is not done and sides still going over what prospects will be included if deal happens. 

Yeah you're right everyone's tweeting nothings imminent now.  

Sure would be nice if something happened this offseason. 

Archived