Conjuring up some optimistic scenarios for 2019-20

Frobby

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m holding fire on expecting too much out of Akin or Scott.    2018 will tell a lot about those two.  I could say the same of Harvey, but I have more confidence in him.  

I think Akin at least has some value as a bullpen piece.  Scott is frustrating because of his inconsistency, some outings it looks like he’s ready to close in Baltimore, others his mechanics are all out of whack. I think he’s going to be a setup type reliever or better but he has some real flameout risk.

Good post Frobby.  I think there is a lot to be excited about from a positional standpoint. 

I worry about the IF.  I wonder how a Beckham at 2B and Schoop at 3B alignment might work if we trade Manny before Spring Training on in July for a more capable defensive SS.  Beckham seems like he might be a better fit at 2B and Schoop certainly has the arm and range for 3B.  I'm not really figuring in Mountcastle.  I think he needs another two years and Beckham and/or Schoop could both be on their way out at that point. 

SP is the biggest question mark but we really just need two guys to step up assuming Bundy/Gausman are going to be solid.  Four quality starters is better than most teams have.  Your fifth starter is almost always going to be a fringe/swing guy.  Very few teams can boast solid SP 1-5.  Akin's second half results in Frederick combined with he did in the Fall League make me optimistic and are more in line with the dominance he showed in Aberdeen.  He could be a solution as early as 2019 along with Harvey.  So then you have Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Akin, + vet signing.  

Chris Davis' contract sucks but from an aggregate standpoint it should have little effect on us being able to use free agency to bolster the roster over the next five years since he's the only player on the roster signed beyond 2019.  We could have a payroll under 100 mil next year with Manny, Jones, Britton, and Brach coming off which would put us in the bottom third of baseball. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have a bunch of OF prospects and relievers.  We just lack SP and IF prospects. If we could just lock up our young guys and make a savvy trade for a SP, it doesn’t look so gloomy. 

Who are these OF prospects? Someone mentioned them in another thread.

From what I read, Hays is good enough to play multiple positions. Mullins' arm can only play in LF, and Stewart and Santander are only good enough to play defensively in LF.

I just don't agree that Hays and three LF's are a bunch. It seems as if the O's have a bunch of DH prospects, along with Mountcastle. But once Trumbo is gone, posters are projecting Mancini do be the DH. It's disheartening that the O's get players who may be good hitters, but have no real position to play where they make a positive contribution.

2 minutes ago, panick said:

From what I read, Hays is good enough to play multiple positions. Mullins' arm can only play in LF, and Stewart and Santander are only good enough to play defensively in LF.

I just don't agree that Hays and three LF's are a bunch. It seems as if the O's have a bunch of DH prospects, along with Mountcastle. But once Trumbo is gone, posters are projecting Mancini do be the DH. It's disheartening that the O's get players who may be good hitters, but have no real position to play where they make a positive contribution.

Mullins can play Center.

Hays would be better served in Right.

Stewart's arm limits him to Left.

All three should be fine defensively with that alignment.

38 minutes ago, panick said:

Stewart is a left fielder. Mullins and Hays can play in all 3 spots effectively, but center and right are best fits for them. Mullins doesn't have a cannon like Hays though, but has a decent enough arm that can be effective. Mullins also has more speed. Santander can play either corner and actually has a strong arm. He played in right field in Bowie some during his rehab and some good throws. You also a few others lower in the farm, like Ademar Rifaela (right fielder who hits for power and is an ok fielder), Jake Ring (same as above), Lamar Sparks (GCL center fielder who Philly loves), and Randolph Gassaway (big arm and bat prospect in 2016 who took a step back in 2017 after struggling with some adjustments either he made, or the organization made.)

Mancini came up as a first baseman. He has a position that is blocked by Chris "Albatross of a Contract" Davis. But to his credit, he performed extremely well in left field, given the circumstances.

Mountcastle might have a breakthru. Maybe. 

Our minor league system will indeed do a nice job of graduating players to the minors but the NYY are strong and will only get stronger with their payroll flexibility.  They are determined to add at least one superstar to the current team.

The biggest issue IMO is the two SP spots.  We need someone not named Harvey from our current minor league system to emerge as a 3 or better to be competitive in most scenarios.  It's unlikely.  

We also have to spend $ on a SP that will be a 3 or better and probably one more bat.

As I mentioned in another thread, a trade like Austin Hays for Kolby Allard could really reset the pitching possibilities for us by 2019/20.  I think there could be some real upside to a rotation of Gausman, Bundy, Harvey and Allard entering 2020 with DL Hall not far away.  With two plus FA bats, that team could be fairly interesting - and it doesn't include any pieces from any MM trade.

Archived