Manny ranked the no. 8 3B “right now” by MLB Network; Beckham ranked no. 10 SS

Frobby

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

Manny is a guy that I think thrives when team is in it.  He was turning last season around and would have finished with a decent year if we stayed in it imo.  We fell out and he seemed to just be going through motions,  In 2015 the same thing happened he has good year and faultered as the Orioles got farther out.  Now you can argue we fell out of it because he struggled.   He is just an emotional player and I think being young he doesn't have the full throttle down at times.  

With the exception of Jones and to some extent Mancini, pretty much everyone on the team faltered in September.   No reason to single out Manny.

Joseph .350 OPS in Sept./Oct.

Smith .395

Trumbo .539

Machado .587

Schoop .590

Davis .590

Beckham .603

Castillo .692

Man that was brutal to watch.

28 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why? 

Because he isn't a particularly great player. I will admit I was surprised to see he had 3.5 WAR last year so I guess "joke" wouldn't be the right word. I thought he was a fizzled out top prospect with a good month last year. Am I wrong?  

The same list is excluding players like Bogaerts, Gregorius, and Crawford. I think anyone who thinks Beckham is a better player than those three is sorely mistaken.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Because he isn't a particularly great player. I will admit I was surprised to see he had 3.5 WAR last year so I guess "joke" wouldn't be the right word. I thought he was a fizzled out top prospect with a good month last year. Am I wrong?  

The same list is excluding players like Bogaerts, Gregorius, and Crawford. I think anyone who thinks Beckham is a better player than those three is sorely mistaken.

I’d agree he does not deserve to be ranked above those three at this point.    But I’d like for him to get the chance to prove his ranking is justified.  

56 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Believe me...as a psychiatrist, I can assure you...everyone has an ego...the only question is whether it is adaptive or dysfunctional.  

I agree. And im still trying to figure Mannys out. Seems like he's probably a good dude, but something about him always rubs me the wrong way. If he was on any other team, I' probably couldn't stand him. Which is why seeing him in either a RS or Yankee uniform will make me even sicker.

56 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Believe me...as a psychiatrist, I can assure you...everyone has an ego...the only question is whether it is adaptive or dysfunctional.  

I think we are dealing with two definitions of ego here.  One in the psychological sense which everyone has.  One in the sense of arrogance.  Does Manny have an inflated ego by which he feels he is better than he is?  Does he "mail it in" because he believes he is wasting his time as an Oriole and waiting to move on or feels he is better than the rest of the team or there is no sense trying hard when the pitching will be bad anyway?

Personally, I have wondered in Machado is about to become the next Markakis, looking real good and heading for stardom in his early 20s and then settling in as an average player later.  Manny being higher both in early expectations and later what he settles in at.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Bogaerts and Crawford took pretty big steps backwards last year.  Bogaerts is young, so 2017 may be a blip, but I know the Red Sox are frustrated with his defense.  Crawford has a strong track record, but is now over 30.

Gregorius can make a legit case that he's top 5.

Beckham had a lot to prove going forward.

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Gotcha, I'm guessing it weighs 2017 performance pretty highly.

And weird defensive metrics, stolen bases and walks. Heavily weighted.  The sluggings part of OPS is not a big part of it either hearing their takes on the air. 

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

What if Manny is overrated? What are his weaknesses? 

Not great pitch selection.

Already had a major surgery that could catch up with him.

Ego?

Only 2 seasons over .800 ops, never over .900

Is he really worth 300 mil

No he isn't. that is why they need to trade him.

46 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

I think we are dealing with two definitions of ego here.  One in the psychological sense which everyone has.  One in the sense of arrogance.  Does Manny have an inflated ego by which he feels he is better than he is?  Does he "mail it in" because he believes he is wasting his time as an Oriole and waiting to move on or feels he is better than the rest of the team or there is no sense trying hard when the pitching will be bad anyway?

Personally, I have wondered in Machado is about to become the next Markakis, looking real good and heading for stardom in his early 20s and then settling in as an average player later.  Manny being higher both in early expectations and later what he settles in at.

If Manny stays at third, I think his career will look a lot  like Adrian Beltre’s. 

Archived