Dan talking "offers and physicals" with a RF target

interloper

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Longoria's contract was a direct result of service time games. Longoria was sent down at the beginning of the season, and called up the day after his contract was agreed to.

Was it part of the negotiations?  Sure.  I wouldn't say it was a direct result.  You don't sign a multi-year deal simply because a team is maneuvering to get an extra year of team control.

27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Due to arbitration. And there is plenty of evidence that arbitration undervalues defense. Regardless, Manny Machado is making $16 million this coming season in his final year of arbitration, and he won't be making only 7 percent more the following year as a free agent.

Dyson is not Manny.  Dyson is not even an everyday player.   Flaherty is still on the market.  Do you think he is going to get an increase over his 1.8m ?

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some other team will value Dyson more highly than $5 mm, in my opinion.   

To me the big question is, do you commit to Hays or not?    That’s a tough call.    Personally I’d prefer to get Santander his 44 days on the roster, leave Hays in the minors at least that long, and then decide if Hays is ready.    In that case, Jay or Dyson would be a nice addition.    

Agree on all counts.

Dyson provides speed and base-running skill; which the O's lack.

He is a credible defender.

He hits LH.

He is affordable and likely will not require more than 2 years.

He can back up all three OF positions.

He is a viable late innings defender/baserunner who can put pressure on a defense.

Dyson seems like the most reasonable FA OF candidate available for the Os. I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him. I hope they do.

2 minutes ago, JustanOsguy said:

Agree on all counts.

He hits LH.

He is a viable late innings defender/baserunner who can put pressure on a defense.

Dyson seems like the most reasonable FA OF candidate available for the Os. I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him. I hope they do.

Mullins?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was it part of the negotiations?  Sure.  I wouldn't say it was a direct result.  You don't sign a multi-year deal simply because a team is maneuvering to get an extra year of team control.

It improved the team’s bargaining position.    It was still smart to sign Longoria to a long term deal either way, but they were in better position with Longoria being 7 years away from FA, not 6.    

7 minutes ago, JustanOsguy said:

Agree on all counts.

He hits LH.

You seem to be describing a 4th OF. Why pay that much when we have any number of 4th OF options in house?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't anything close to a sure thing and won't be ready in 2018. 

Dyson only hit well against right-handed pitch.  Just like Mullins.    

vs Righties   293/339/534/863. He hit homers.  He drove in runs.  He score runs. He is a very good outfielder who can play all three positions.  

So if Dyson is signed for 2 years it blocks Mullins.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Dyson only hit well against right-handed pitch.  Just like Mullins.    

vs Righties   293/339/534/863. He hit homers.  He drove in runs.  He score runs. He is a very good outfielder who can play all three positions.  

So if Dyson is signed for 2 years it blocks Mullins.

You put Mullins in Center and keep Dyson as the fourth outfielder.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pretty aggressive when it comes to promotions and I don't think July/August sounds likely.  September sure but does September count?

From what I have read Mullins is ready defensively now.    And he hit for 863 OPS va righties at AA,  ST will be interesting.

Archived