Should we stay close to our computers today?

weams

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s what I know: the free agents don’t care about Fanfest.   They’ll sign when they get an offer they like.    And I expect DD would love to have something to talk about at Fanfest but he’s not going to increase offers just for that.    So, I’d peg the odds of a significant move in the next 48 hours at 10-15%.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s what I know: the free agents don’t care about Fanfest.   They’ll sign when they get an offer they like.    And I expect DD would love to have something to talk about at Fanfest but he’s not going to increase offers just for that.    So, I’d peg the odds of a significant move in the next 48 hours at 10-15%.

I agree with this take.

Haven't seen too many leaks about who we could be targeting, that makes me think that whoever we're targeting won't be that "significant."

I don't think DD is afraid of some tough questions at fan fest. He seems to get them every year and this year he can point to the overall slow market as justification. Most years the Orioles are a standard deviation or two below average in terms of activity. This year they are right around the mean in terms of activity. 

But seriously, it seems like a team might be able to sign multiple players to reasonable years this year if they were aggressive right now. It's a slow market and players and agents must be really uncomfortable right now. It might be a really good time to go on a little spending spree. Of course I don't think the Orioles are going to do that, but it might be a good year to get good players for shorter contracts for less money than projected by almost everyone at the end of the season. 

Archived