Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

Put this article separate since it gives some thoughts and information about the absence .  At least the Sun did a little digging. MASN has all but forgotten it and mum is the word.

But manager Buck Showalter was more than willing to offer his perspective. Showalter said that in his eyes, Machado was not there for a legitimate personal reason, but that Schoop’s reason didn’t fit his standard.

FanFest is the one offseason event that all players under team control, whether you’ve just been added to the 40-man roster or are a 10-year veteran, are required to attend. Traditionally, few exceptions are granted.

But Showalter told reporters during his FanFest media session on Saturday that he wasn’t satisfied with Schoop’s reason for missing the event. He said that he spoke with Schoop’s agent, Steve Veltman, who Showalter said told Schoop to hold out of the event.

“I talked to his agent,” Showalter said. “He made me aware of the advice he gave Jon, so we'll live with it and move on."

I was told by one Orioles player Saturday that it’s not uncommon for agents to tell an arbitration-eligible player who has yet to agree to terms to miss a team-sponsored offseason fan event. This player said he was advised to do it once earlier in his career, but he decided to still attend, and eventually reached an oral agreement there.

Again this year, the Orioles tried to make it work, and Showalter talked to Schoop’s agent multiple times over the week. Once it was clear Machado and Schoop wouldn’t attend, the Orioles were proactive, immediately giving refunds for autograph sessions with Machado or Schoop, and giving the fans the remaining players in those sessions for free.

More startling than anything was the tone-deaf nature that Schoop’s absence emits. He could have followed the lead of Britton, who did a Twitter question-and-answer session during the event as his way of interacting with fans. But it’s baffling that no one in Schoop’s camp -- while fast to advise him to skip FanFest – didn’t suggest to him to use the power of social media to send his own unfiltered message to the fans about his absence. Schoop’s Instagram account has included several posts of his offseason conditioning work in his native Curacao, and MLB.com did a heartfelt media campaign this month featuring Schoop and other players on how they’re growing the game on the island.

But as far as FanFest, there’s still no word from Schoop’s camp. A text message sent to Veltman on Friday was unanswered.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-schoop-20180129-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally believe that if the Orioles wish to have players at FanFest then they should be more proactive about getting them through arbitration. Schoop holds the leverage here; the Orioles should bend over backwards for this guy. I won’t ever agree with people trashing millionaires when the whole thing can be resolved quickly by billionaires.

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I personally believe that if the Orioles wish to have players at FanFest then they should be more proactive about getting them through arbitration. Schoop holds the leverage here; the Orioles should bend over backwards for this guy. I won’t ever agree with people trashing millionaires when the whole thing can be resolved quickly by billionaires.

I think Schoop hurt himself more than he hurt the Orioles.

Am I the only one who doesn't see this as a big deal at all?

Look, the team is trying to trade his best friend.  Odds are that Machado isn't here after this season via trade or free agency.

As much as you'll hear athletes say "It's a business" some of them conveniently forget this when it comes to situations like this.  Especially a young guy like Schoop who hasn't been around too long.

He's seen the Orioles give big bucks to the likes of Davis and Trumbo, and now the team is saying they can't afford Manny.  He's probably wondering if the team is going to do what it takes to keep him here long term, too.

All things considered, it's not a shock he didn't show up to Fan-fest, which, to me, is a bunch of fans asking hard hitting questions and getting platitudes in response which is no different than what you'd get in the media.  

When Schoop hits 30 homers this year and makes the all star team, no ones going to remember if he went to fan-fest or not except for the middle aged guys who wanted his autograph on their glove.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think Schoop hurt himself more than he hurt the Orioles.

The man is living the upper class American Dream playing baseball for a team that doesn’t have the sense to re-sign him in a few years. Jonathan Schoop isn’t hurting for anything.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

When Schoop hits 30 homers this year and makes the all star team, no ones going to remember if he went to fan-fest or not except for the middle aged guys who wanted his autograph on their glove.

I'll go one further.  Once Opening Day get here, this will long be forgotten.

11 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'll go one further.  Once Opening Day get here, this will long be forgotten.

Right, this.  It was a silly, petty decision, and he looks bad.  Not following up with something to reach out to the fans compounds it a bit.  But we only care about this because it's January.  Once the leather starts poppin', this will be long forgotten. 

It's annoying to me, and I'm sure to those who attended Fanfest and had autograph vouchers, but it doesn't really change my opinion of Jon.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh, I'll remember.  I'm not going to hold a grudge or boo him or anything, but it definitely lessens my opinion of him a bit unless I get some sort of explanation.  Maybe it's different because I'm a dad with young kids, but FanFest should be about 1 thing and 1 thing only, and that's the kids.  Nice to hear that we have at least 1 player who ignored the lousy advice of his agent to use a fan event as a negotiation tool.  Wish I knew who that player was.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Look, the team is trying to trade his best friend.  Odds are that Machado isn't here after this season via trade or free agency.

As much as you'll hear athletes say "It's a business" some of them conveniently forget this when it comes to situations like this.  Especially a young guy like Schoop who hasn't been around too long.

He's seen the Orioles give big bucks to the likes of Davis and Trumbo, and now the team is saying they can't afford Manny.  He's probably wondering if the team is going to do what it takes to keep him here long term, too.

All things considered, it's not a shock he didn't show up to Fan-fest, which, to me, is a bunch of fans asking hard hitting questions and getting platitudes in response which is no different than what you'd get in the media.  

It's no big deal.  He likely wants out.  I don't blame him, this organization is terrible.

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Completely disagree about FanFest.  I know plenty of young fans that would have loved to meet one of their favorite players... it would have made their day.  We all know how arbitration works out - Player offers higher amount / team offers lower amount, usually they will settle on an amount and no tears were shed.... I don't see this as a reason to skip FanFest...........even if they are trying to trade his BFF.

6 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I totally disagree.    The arbitration process has a timetable, that happens to call for final resolution after events like Fanfest are held.   The team has no more leverage than Schoop has to resolve his salary; he’s under contract and a third party will decide the matter if the parties can’t agree.   Meanwhile he has a minimum of $7.5 mm coming his way.   

I’m very disappointed that Schoop didn’t come; that doesn’t seem like something he would have done on his own.     I agree with Buck that Schoop’s agent gave him bad advice.  

4 minutes ago, Ripken said:

It's no big deal.  He likely wants out.  I don't blame him, this organization is terrible.

Yeah, it’s been terrible for him going to the playoffs twice in four years and earning $12+ mm in the process.    My heart goes out to him.   

4 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Right, this.  It was a silly, petty decision, and he looks bad.  Not following up with something to reach out to the fans compounds it a bit.  But we only care about this because it's January.  Once the leather starts poppin', this will be long forgotten. 

It's annoying to me, and I'm sure to those who attended Fanfest and had autograph vouchers, but it doesn't really change my opinion of Jon.

I agree with everything you say but the last sentence.  My opinion has changed about him because this was a very immature thing to do.   Something for the fans shouldn't get mixed in with the business of the game.

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Trading his buddy shouldn't change the way he conducts himself as a professional. 

At 26, he's a grown ass man with 5 years MLB experience.

Just because you "see" something doesn't mean squat.  Davis and Trumbo were free agents.  Schoop is not.  He will have his time just like Davis, Trumbo and his buddy Manny.  In the meantime, he's making MILLIONS on top of the $10M+ he's already made (w/the $5m deal he made).  If he's so close with Manny, he should know all about arb years.

Have you ever been to a FanFest?  Most of the players don't even field questions....they scribble their signature for an hour and move on.  Hard hitting questions? Don't think so.

Archived