Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is the record for most HBP by an Oriole second baseman historic?

Yea, counting stats don't really do it for me. 

They don't need to do it for you. They do it for things like arbitration court and the media and casual fans, and that's why I mentioned it. 

Despite the home run totals, his rWAR as you noted yourself, is still one of the best in the last 40 years by a second baseman. Not the best, but what, top 3 or 4? I'd say that's significant for someone who doesn't like counting stats. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

They don't need to do it for you. They do it for things like arbitration court and the media and casual fans, and that's why I mentioned it. 

Despite the home run totals, his rWAR as you noted yourself, is still one of the best in the last 40 years by a second baseman. Not the best, but what, top 3 or 4? I'd say that's significant for someone who doesn't like counting stats. 

Sure it's significant, I mentioned what a nice season he had.

My issue was with the word historic. 

I think that is overstating the issue.

Right now he is a nice player that has one great season under his belt.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure it's significant, I mentioned what a nice season he had.

My issue was with the word historic. 

I think that is overstating the issue.

Right now he is a nice player that has one great season under his belt.

Yeah, fair enough.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

They wouldn't have had much of a case in an arbitration trial. He's already historically good in terms of Orioles second baseman, offensively. I doubt the O's wanted to go to $8.5, but they stood to be on the hook for $9, with a potential black mark on the O's arb record to boot.

Hooray for decisions being made.

I think they had a good chance to win the arbitration trial, for reasons I’ve explained in a lot of detail in other posts.    Saying that, I always hoped they would settle, and while I think $8.5 mm is slightly on the generous side, I’m fine with it.   Now get Gausman done.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think they had a good chance to win the arbitration trial, for reasons I’ve explained in a lot of detail in other posts.    Saying that, I always hoped they would settle, and while I think $8.5 mm is slightly on the generous side, I’m fine with it.   Now get Gausman done.    

Surprise, surprise... it's the same agency Schoop uses. Maybe a reason why both have held out, but also maybe reason to hope Gausman's settlement is soon to follow.

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

In the last 40 years Alomar had RC 125 in 1993 and he’s #20 on the list. Schoop’s RC last year was 101.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

In the last 40 years Alomar had RC 125 in 1993 and he’s #20 on the list. Schoop’s RC last year was 101.

I was going by CoC's rWAR numbers. Certainly one can cherry pick any stat they like to determine how they value a player.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Also... he was playing for Toronto in' 93. Our discussion was clearly about Oriole second baseman.

You said one of the best 2B in the last 40 years. You didn’t specify Orioles. I selected RC because it wasn’t WAR. And again, you selecting HRs to further your argument seems more like cherry picking. Schoop’s season can only be called ‘historic’ if you were talking Orioles. And even then, CoC provided enough examples to show it wasn’t, but whatever.

Archived