Roch: There’s a growing sense that the Orioles are close to finding a veteran starting pitcher."

weams

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't know but they have to sign another pitcher. I hope DD is working on signing a good pitcher. Cashner I like. But please not Tillman. Someone better please. 

I think they have to have one space for one of the Rule 5 guys or we'll waste the long-term opportunity.  We can't fit all of them in the bullpen, and they sound capable if not ready. So sign one, but not two.  Of course if Tillman took a minor league contract, that could be a good way to have a potential return to his earlier quality while not tying up the space if he's not back.

I would really love to have Tillman back at the right price. I think both Cortes and Mesa are keepers, and I would like the flexibility to keep them both somehow. Maybe making a trade with the Yankee's where the rights to these two are involved would make sense. I think Tillman on a MiL deal makes a ton of sense for us, but he may have better options. Time will tell, and that will probably be very soon.

Call me crazy, but I feel like we need to trade Manny for a solid starter that's under control for 2-3 years and relax the ask of two young, project-able starters. 

Sure he could be GREAT in a contract year, but we need pitching. I'm not sure who would match up, but find a team that has a hole at SS like we do at P and see if we can swing something! Maybe a pitcher the caliber of Gio Gonzalez. Solid lefty. Sometimes dominant, sometimes average, but always playable. 

Letting Manny go would certainly create a hole, but I think getting a solid starter about Manny's age with a couple years of control would create a lot more balance on the roster. 

Just now, theobird said:

I would really love to have Tillman back at the right price. I think both Cortes and Mesa are keepers, and I would like the flexibility to keep them both somehow. Maybe making a trade with the Yankee's where the rights to these two are involved would make sense. I think Tillman on a MiL deal makes a ton of sense for us, but he may have better options. Time will tell, and that will probably be very soon.

I agree with you.

But, Tony-OH won me over to his feeling, that Tilly is done, or he would have signed a MIL deal somewhere as a bounce back.

1 minute ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Call me crazy, but I feel like we need to trade Manny for a solid starter that's under control for 2-3 years and relax the ask of two young, project-able starters. 

Sure he could be GREAT in a contract year, but we need pitching. I'm not sure who would match up, but find a team that has a hole at SS like we do at P and see if we can swing something! Maybe a pitcher the caliber of Gio Gonzalez. Solid lefty. Sometimes dominant, sometimes average, but always playable. 

A GM is not going to give up a solid starter under control for a 1 year rental of Manny.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

A GM is not going to give up a solid starter under control for a 1 year rental of Manny.

2-3 years is not 5-6 years and two guys, which was our original asking price. And I'm not even advocating a player of comparable value, per se. We won't get a pitcher back that is comparable to Manny's value at 3rd. Hell, even someone like Trevor Bauer. Proven enough, potential to improve.. I know it's only one year of Manny, but it could still be one helluva year for a team that could use help on the left side of their infield and want to push to win a WS or make the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Letting Manny go would certainly create a hole, but I think getting a solid starter about Manny's age with a couple years of control would create a lot more balance on the roster. 

Yeah. Manny for Andujar, Montgomery and the rights to Mesa and Cortes.

14 minutes ago, theobird said:

This is an interesting suggestion.  I wonder if we took Ellsbury and around $40 million, the Yankees would give the Orioles the rights to those two pitchers.  

6 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

This is an interesting suggestion.  I wonder if we took Ellsbury and around $40 million, the Yankees would give the Orioles the rights to those two pitchers.  

I like this idea as well, but someone pointed out to me that those two players (Mesa/Cortes) would need to pass through waivers.

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I like this idea as well, but someone pointed out to me that those two players (Mesa/Cortes) would need to pass through waivers.

Interesting.  I figured if the Yankees "traded" them to us, they would no longer be Rule 5 guys.  Like what the  Orioles did a few years ago with Almanzar and the Red Sox.

Archived