Cashner signing

jcaponio

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Why is it hard for you to understand they have had similar K rates and similar degrees of success. My point is that we are doing Gallardo all over again.

I disagree. Gallard had a bum shoulder.  He was throwing 86 when I saw him in Spring Training. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Wade Miley walked the most batters in all of baseball last year - 93. Cashner walked 64. 

So I just cannot agree with this statement.

Last season was an outlyer for MIley in terms of walks if you look at his history. And I'm not trying to build him up. They're both bad pitchers. Anyone who can't see through Cashner's unsustainable mid 3s era isn't looking at the numbers. 

No loss of pick. $8m/year AAV. 2 years, low commitment.

His FIP is lackluster and his SO/9 rate is a concern. That said, he's better than 3/5 of the rotation...so there's that.

I don't mind this. It's something. Not enough. But it's something.

Wouldn't shock me to see him settle in with a 4.75-5.00 ERA or so. 

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I stated a couple days ago that velocity was important so are actual results.

All I was saying is the stuff is there. And his results were good last year. That doesn't matter because he wasn't striking guys out? Does his 87mph exit velocity mean anything?

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So MLBTR slots him as the 5th best FA SP in the market.

Yet, you the amateur fan, knows more than they do?

I've been advocating improving the pitching staff through trades (as opposed to free agency) for months. This year's free agent pitching class is weak. There's a huge drop off after the top tier. Huge. 

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

It's not a lot of money and therefore nothing to be upset over... but I think he's likely to be bad, and doesn't move the needle. Add Lynn too, I still don't think they are good enough.

Steamer has him good for a 5.40/5.24/5.23. I think that feels about right.

Yup, just texted my brother and said the same. I don’t hate it, but....meh.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Last season was an outlyer for MIley in terms of walks if you look at his history. And I'm not trying to build him up. They're both bad pitchers. Anyone who can't see through Cashner's unsustainable mid 3s era isn't looking at the numbers. 

Obviously. Personally I'm hoping for a 4.50 and I'll see that as a stunning victory for this rotation. And it's an upgrade from last year no matter how you look at it. 

Now if Cashner crashes and burns to a 5 or 6+, then, hey, that sucks. But I'm glad they signed a ML caliber starting pitcher because that's the only option they afforded themselves. They had to make this signing, so we'll just see how it plays out. 

I like him more than Hellickson, I'll say that.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have the O's at 125m plus 8 is 133m

If you count deferral the O's are at 117m plus 8m is 125m

So hopefully, if 140m is the readjusted market price, we still have room.

Disclaimer, this is my own gut on payroll, of course the team has not publically said what they are willing to spend. But, I don't see it being as high as its been.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The sad thing is, all things considered, it's not a bad signing.

Yes he might completely crash and burn, but he has a fair chance at being a serviceable back end guy for two years at a reasonable price.

I hope you're right, but this feels like they're just swapping out the name on the back of the jersey to me. Tear off Miley, sew on Cashner. I'm really amazed they had to commit to him for two years. 

25/41st's feels really high for a free agent contract's contingent percentage - does anyone know of any others?  Perhaps a bit of credit for creative contract design is merited here.  I guess it'll fit whether he's a 1-win or 2-win player, assuming we're lucky enough to avoid the no better than replacement possibilities.

Style-wise among FA starters, maybe this ties in with a Garcia followup.  Cashner is an innings donkey, while Garcia projects for better rates in fewer innings.  We still want that LHP and Cashner didn't blow the budget.  Two playoff contenders did want Garcia last July.