Cashner signing

jcaponio

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sign Tilly to a MIL deal and let him complete against the Rule 5 guys for the last 2 slots.

For what it is worth I heard that a member of the staff saw Tillman throw about 3 weeks ago and said he looked good.

Of course looked good is a pretty generic response. 

Have to think it is all about guaranteed money with Chris. Any team would give him a MiL deal.  

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Except that he's only thrown 180 innings in a season once. And he turns 32 soon. His durability is a question, but I'll gladly take him at this point. He is a stud compared to most of our staff. 

175 is pretty damn close to 180.

He threw 166 last season, and 28 GS.

No reason, to expect less than that here.

5 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Now to sign Cobb or Lynn

I was just re-reading all my posts about Cashner over the last 2 years (the O’s reportedly had interest in trading for him last winter, so there were threads then).   My posts have overwhelmingly been negative on the guy, but I think my favorite was:  “If Cashner is the best pitcher we sign this winter, we might as well not bother.”    So, I agree with you; we got Cashner pretty cheap, and there’s no reason we can’t afford to go get someone better.    The budget should allow it.  

I know this is totally ridiculous, but just for fun:

Cashner had a 4.6 WAR last year. Ubaldo had -1.3 WAR. So 5.9 additional WAR with this signing.

Manny had a 3.5 WAR last year - let's say he gets back to 6 WAR this year.

Trumbo has -.6 WAR, Davis has -.1 WAR - let's just say they put up 0 WAR each this year.

Hardy had -.5 WAR. Beckham had a 3.3 WAR - let's just say that change results in 2 WAR.

Miley had -.3 WAR, Tillman had -2.2 WAR - let's just say their replacements put up 0 WAR this year.

That's 14.1 additional WAR in 2018 than 2017. Or 89.1 wins.

Again, this is a totally ridiculous WAR exercise. But, even without another signing, it is NOT crazy the O's can compete for the Wild Card in 2018.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

For what it is worth I heard that a member of the staff saw Tillman throw about 3 weeks ago and said he looked good.

Of course looked good is a pretty generic response. 

Have to think it is all about guaranteed money with Chris. Any team would give him a MiL deal.  

I think he wants a ML contract and not MIL deal.

Just now, theocean said:

I know this is totally ridiculous, but just for fun:

Cashner had a 4.6 WAR last year. Ubaldo had -1.3 WAR. So 5.9 additional WAR with this signing.

Manny had a 3.5 WAR last year - let's say he gets back to 6 WAR this year.

Trumbo has -.6 WAR, Davis has -.1 WAR - let's just say they put up 0 WAR each this year.

Hardy had -.5 WAR. Beckham had a 3.3 WAR - let's just say that change results in 2 WAR.

Miley had -.3 WAR, Tillman had -2.2 WAR - let's just say their replacements put up 0 WAR this year.

That's 14.1 additional WAR in 2018 than 2017. Or 89.1 wins.

Again, this is a totally ridiculous WAR exercise. But, even without another signing, it is NOT crazy the O's can compete for the Wild Card in 2018.

Assuming they get another SP yeah I can see 89 wins. Davis and Trumbo still need to rebound. 

Archived