Manny: “Thank God I wasn’t traded.”

Frobby

18 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I hate when players say “there are some things that are out of my jurisdiction, out of my hands. “  B.S. Manny, you could get big bucks, but not top dollar, to stay in Baltimore.  Everyone knows the economics in Baltimore, big Pete can't and won't outbid NYY.  Manny, if you choose to sell to the top bidder than it’s all on you pal, your decision.  That's your right, Manny,  and if it's NYY, little Kenny Rosenthal, Boras' PR man -Heyman, and all rest of the media will love you for it.  Do me a favor; don't tell me you have no control over the situation.

I understand that John Angelos is approachable.  And if not, Roy could get a message to him. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I hate when players say “there are some things that are out of my jurisdiction, out of my hands. “  B.S. Manny, you could get big bucks, but not top dollar, to stay in Baltimore.  

I know what you’re saying, but why have the Orioles not even tried to engage on the subject in several years?   That’s on them, and it’s not usually for the player to initiate those discussions.    If Manny says no, then that’s on him.  

58 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

His value at the deadline will be set by contending teams that think he's enough of an upgrade at SS to put them over the top. Will there be such teams? We'll see. 

So as an exercise...last year, Houston had Correa at short, no need there.  . Boston had Xander Boegarts...upgrade there,  Yankees had Gregorius, bit of an upgrade,  Cleveland had Lindor, ..no real need there...Twins would have been the most likely to seek an upgrade with Polanco at short....

In NL Dodgers had Corey Seager, no need there,  Nats with Trea Turner, no need there,  Diamondbacks could have used an upgrade definitely from Marte, 

Cubs could have had an upgrade from Russell,  Rockies could have had an upgrade from Trevor Story

So Twins might have made a play but probably not because they were pretty far back at the deadline and did not make a big bunch of moves...Boston or Yankees may have made a play too.  In NL Diamondbacks, Cubs, Rockies all had more of a need... 

So maybe it plays out like that this year where we could get a fair return from one of the teams in contention ...or maybe not.   

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I know what you’re saying, but why have the Orioles not even tried to engage on the subject in several years?   That’s on them, and it’s not usually for the player to initiate those discussions.    If Manny says no, then that’s on him.  

I agree no excuse not to throw an offer out there now, but define "several years."   This is Mussina redux.

The Orioles are said by sources to have come “within $8 million or $9 million” of locking him up a couple years back, though one person familiar with those talks said the offer was for “well below $100 million,” and that person suggested he didn’t believe the sides were especially close to a deal.   However, it seems Machado’s side might have made some sort of counteroffer to stay, or at least provided parameters, since sources are suggesting the gap ($8 million to $9 million) existed.
Word is that Angelos, especially conservative when it comes to medical records (they’ve rejected several potential acquisitions in the past), was leery about Machado’s history of knee injuries at the time. 

https://www.fanragsports.com/orioles/heyman-orioles-have-no-intention-of-shopping-manny-machado/

13 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So as an exercise...last year, Houston had Correa at short, no need there.  . Boston had Xander Boegarts...upgrade there,  Yankees had Gregorius, bit of an upgrade,  Cleveland had Lindor, ..no real need there...Twins would have been the most likely to seek an upgrade with Polanco at short....

In NL Dodgers had Corey Seager, no need there,  Nats with Trea Turner, no need there,  Diamondbacks could have used an upgrade definitely from Marte, 

Cubs could have had an upgrade from Russell,  Rockies could have had an upgrade from Trevor Story

So Twins might have made a play but probably not because they were pretty far back at the deadline and did not make a big bunch of moves...Boston or Yankees may have made a play too.  In NL Diamondbacks, Cubs, Rockies all had more of a need... 

So maybe it plays out like that this year where we could get a fair return from one of the teams in contention ...or maybe not.   

You are considering only the teams that made the playoffs. The pool of teams that believe they are contenders is much larger.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

I hate when players say “there are some things that are out of my jurisdiction, out of my hands. “  B.S. Manny, you could get big bucks, but not top dollar, to stay in Baltimore.  Everyone knows the economics in Baltimore, big Pete can't and won't outbid NYY.  Manny, if you choose to sell to the top bidder than it’s all on you pal, your decision.  That's your right, Manny,  and if it's NYY, little Kenny Rosenthal, Boras' PR man -Heyman, and all rest of the media will love you for it.  Do me a favor; don't tell me you have no control over the situation.

Manny is definitely in the leverage seat at the moment but the Orioles have had six years where they had most all the leverage .  Baltimore certainly had the leverage after his second knee surgery but refused to take any risk.   Baltimore had plenty of leverage last offseason to trade him for a boatload of return but refused to do so because they misjudged their own talent level...none of that was on Manny.   So the Orioles too know how this goes...you let any very good young player to get to this point before free agency, much less a once in a generation player, he would be a complete idiot to take any deal now.     I have absolutely no issues with Manny.  It is all on Potter. 

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s millions of dollars, so we react differently, but I don’t understand it. If someone currently makes 50k and gets offered 100k, does anyone blame someone for leaving if their current employer won’t do anything to stop them from leaving?

It’s no different, the numbers just change.

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Manny is definitely in the leverage seat at the moment but the Orioles have had six years where they had most all the leverage .  Baltimore certainly had the leverage after his second knee surgery but refused to take any risk.   Baltimore had plenty of leverage last offseason to trade him for a boatload of return but refused to do so because they misjudged their own talent level...none of that was on Manny.   So the Orioles too know how this goes...you let any very good young player to get to this point before free agency, much less a once in a generation player, he would be a complete idiot to take any deal now.     I have absolutely no issues with Manny.  It is all on Potter. 

It was a big risk! I wish they had done it then but it could have tanked as much as it worked.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

You are considering only the teams that made the playoffs. The pool of teams that believe they are contenders is much larger.

Perhaps..a few more last year, but most of them were not making big expensive system hurting trades just for a position player upgrade.    Closers, bullpen shutdown types seem much more in demand at that moment.  We shall see I suppose what his market is.  It will be significantly less than it is right now or was at any time previously I predict. 

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

It’s millions of dollars, so we react differently, but I don’t understand it. If someone currently makes 50k and gets offered 100k, does anyone blame someone for leaving if their current employer won’t do anything to stop them from leaving?

It’s no different, the numbers just change.

I don't blame Manny one iota. It's his career, it's his life. Livelihood.

Just now, scOtt said:

It was a big risk! I wish they had done it then but it could have tanked as much as it worked.

No pain, no gain..and if one really believed that Manny was a talent beyond the norm, the risk would certainly have had a much, much bigger reward potential.   That is a much better risk for a mid market team to take than signing a Chris Davis.   Water under the bridge though.  Manny might have refused anyway to take even a lower, secure deal rather than just bet on himself to recover for the big deal. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

No pain, no gain..and if one really believed that Manny was a talent beyond the norm, the risk would certainly have had a much, much bigger reward potential.   That is a much better risk for a mid market team to take than signing a Chris Davis.   Water under the bridge though.  Manny might have refused anyway to take even a lower, secure deal rather than just bet on himself to recover for the big deal. 

I see your point. And we might have gotten him for.... 6-ish years @ 15 per. Who knows? But I can see mgmnts point too. Like you say, water under the bridge.

8 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I don't blame Manny one iota. It's his career, it's his life. Livelihood.

This really is Manny's one big chance to be a multi-millionaire and a well-off ex-ballplayer or to set up his family for maybe 5 generations. It's a lottery.

Archived