Worse contract-Hosmer or Davis

OriolesMagic83

The Padres giving Hosmer an 8 year deal has to be one of the worst long term deals ever.  It's right up there with Davis's deal.  At least the O's had the excuse they were in their window of contention.  The Padres' best player, Myers, also plays 1B.  By the time the Padres are competitive, Hosmer will basically be James Loney.  Hosmer has had one year of a .850+ OPS.  At least with Davis, you could dream that he would have another .900 OPS year. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate Hosmer, but Davis isn't even an everyday player on a good team. He's a one trick pony, and he doesn't even do that well anymore. Not enough to compensate for everything he doesn't do. Hosmer may not put up sexy numbers, but he IS an everyday player. Also, Myers is fine with shifting to the OF so that's a non issue. So I respectfully disagree with your take. 

This is worse than the Davis' deal if you are evaluating both at the time of signing.  Both horrible, horrendous deals but Hosmer's gets the edge because he's not coming off the monster season Davis was. 

What is worse right now?  Tough to say.  But I'd take my chances on eight years of Hosmer at 144 rather than five years of Davis at 115 or whatever is left on it. 

3 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

CD ultimately cost us Manny.  Very damaging signing for us O's fans.

I don't think Davis cost us Manny.  Manny's knee injury cost us Manny. 

Angelos wasn't ever going to commit 200 plus mil to Machado back in 15 or 16 when he could have been extended for well under 300 mil coming off the knee surgeries.  

He's certainly cost us some other acquisitions though and will continue to until his contract expires, so point taken. 

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Big difference between a $150M contract and a $300M contract.  

Hilarious that people think Machado is getting 300 million.   At same point in time career as Longoria he is a lessor player and Longoria will never even make 20 million in a season.   If Manny puts like last season he is going to be quite disappointed in free agency.   The way you guys talk you would think Manny has been putting up 1000 OPS seasons. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Hilarious that people think Machado is getting 300 million.   At same point in time career as Longoria he is a lessor player and Longoria will never even make 20 million in a season.   If Manny puts like last season he is going to be quite disappointed in free agency.   The way you guys talk you would think Manny has been putting up 1000 OPS seasons. 

I didn't think Hosmer would get $144M either.  If Manny goes nuts with gold glove defense and a 1000 OPS, I will not be surprised at a $250M+ offer.  All it takes is one team.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

When exactly did Longoria hit the free agent market? 

Oh right, he signed team friendly deals instead of testing free agency.

You might want to work on finding a better comparison.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Jason Heyward got 188 mil.  Manny will get at least 250.  Probably closer to 300.  

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Jason Heyward got 188 mil.  Manny will get at least 250.  Probably closer to 300.  

Heyward stats per free agency are pretty similar to Machado.   So I don't see why you would think he would get more especially since trend is declining contracts.   If he gets 250 million hopefully it will be from Yankees so they can be stuck with a bad contract.

28 minutes ago, atomic said:

Machado has been worth 8 rWAR more than Longoria at this point in his career.

Archived