OriolesMagic83

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Davis was worth 14.6 bWAR when he signed the deal

Hosmer was worth 14.1 bWAR when he signed this deal

Going to go with hosmer due to length

Also, he’s two years younger.   That’s very important.   Davis deal was somewhat worse at the time it was signed, and probably a lot worse in hindsight.    

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Davis was worth 14.6 bWAR when he signed the deal

Hosmer was worth 14.1 bWAR when he signed this deal

Going to go with hosmer due to length

Maybe I'm biased, but we saw Davis put up two fringy MVP-ish seasons prior to his deal.  Both over 5.0 wins.  Hosmer's best season was four.  Hosmer was arguably the 6th-best first baseman in baseball in his career year, and that somehow warrants an 8-year deal way over $100M? 

23 hours ago, ChuckS said:

This is worse than the Davis' deal if you are evaluating both at the time of signing.  Both horrible, horrendous deals but Hosmer's gets the edge because he's not coming off the monster season Davis was. 

What is worse right now?  Tough to say.  But I'd take my chances on eight years of Hosmer at 144 rather than five years of Davis at 115 or whatever is left on it. 

Hosmer gets to opt out after year 5... and is heavily front loaded...which makes his deal worse. 

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Maybe I'm biased, but we saw Davis put up two fringy MVP-ish seasons prior to his deal.  Both over 5.0 wins.  Hosmer's best season was four.  Hosmer was arguably the 6th-best first baseman in baseball in his career year, and that somehow warrants an 8-year deal way over $100M? 

They're both bad contracts.  Davis had the upside for a monster season,  but that might be gone now.  Hosmer is more consistent, but he is very likely to put up pedestrian numbers at Petco Park.  

31 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Hosmer gets to opt out after year 5... and is heavily front loaded...which makes his deal worse. 

The way I see it, he only opts out if he’s still producing well 5 years from now, so that still works.    He gets $21 mm/yr the first five years, still less than Davis’ $23 mm/yr (though with Davis’ deferred comp, it’s pretty close).

Archived