Cashner, Presley, Tillman - are the O's done now?

interloper

2 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

The law firm took a $150 million dollar fee from the tobacco settlement which is enormous but it was also paid out over five years and it looks like the payments ended around 2008.  And he had to pay multiple experts several million dollars out of that fee.

And you assume that fee is all profit, but you need to remember that those fees are the sole revenue of the firm and have to be divided up to partners, operating costs, reinvested into other cases, etc.

Not saying the fee is not an incredible amount, just pointing out that the loss of thousands of cases which you've invested time and money into could be a big deal, even for the Angelos law firm.

He has also made a ton of money from asbestos industry already, several times over.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I said if.  I'm not pretending to know what their finances look like.  I've readily admitted to this being speculation.

True, I just suspect they wont be on food stamps.

I think some posters are hoping, this would hurt him so bad, it would force him to sell the team, and I dont believe this will happen. IMO

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

True, I just suspect they wont be on food stamps.

I think some posters are hoping, this would hurt him so bad, it would force him to sell the team, and I dont believe this will happen. IMO

I don't think that, I just think he would/is using the team to support the firm.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Which i have listed multiple times in this thread and he got 150 million for his 4.5 billion judgement.

Old Article from 2014 which I guess was probably covered on this board at some point but since were on the off-topic, topic

http://centermaryland.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72321:angelos-firm-downsizes-lawyers-staff&catid=9&Itemid=287

Lay offs of 20% of his Baltimore work-force in 2014

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if the Davis contract was at the insistence of ownership than you have to include that in your assessment of payroll.  Giving Dan a replacement level first baseman isn't the same as handing him 23M.

47 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He limits and restricts the entire organization with his philosophies. 

He certainly does not allow DD to have X amount of resources and go do as he pleases.  

I would not say overall he is cheap, I agree there.  

Fair enough on both counts, but that doesn't make him the worst owner of his era, at least not anymore.  I'd take him over the TB ownership and former Miami ownership any day.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

So the losing money here, is siphoning off?

https://www.forbes.com/teams/baltimore-orioles/

I've read enough over the years that I don't believe any team is losing money unless and until they open their books.

This is the NBA, but mentions Bill Veeck, so it's valid to post.

Also mentioned is this famous baseball quote :

"Anyone who quotes profits of a baseball club is missing the point," Paul Beeston once said (at the time he was a Blue Jays vice president). "Under generally accepted accounting principles, I can turn a $4 million profit into a $2 million loss and I could get every national accounting firm to agree with me."

https://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusive-how-and-why-an-nba-team-makes-a-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I've read enough over the years that I don't believe any team is losing money unless and until they open their books.

This is the NBA, but mentions Bill Veeck, so it's valid to post.

Also mentioned is this famous baseball quote :

https://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusive-how-and-why-an-nba-team-makes-a-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss

Ledger book manipulation. :)

Wondering what kind of word, BOBMC will come up with, for this. :)

50 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Dan is nothing if not patient.  I would think he will wait to see if their price comes down.   The O's need starters.  They have money.   It just does not make sense to me that Dan "moves on" without them signing somewhere.   He's the kind of guy to wait them out.

Look, anything’s possible, but when Roch says something like this, it’s not good.    

Just now, Frobby said:

Look, anything’s possible, but when Roch says something like this, it’s not good.    

My only question is what if Roch's just repeating what he was told much earlier in the offseason?

Roch's usually got things pegged pretty good, but sometimes he's flat out wrong, too.

Archived