Andrew Susac

Yardball85

10 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Good to see he's back with the club after the staph infection.

He was a highly-regarded prospect and had solid numbers in the minors.  Was the "prize" in the Will Smith trade a few years ago.  Any chance he emerges as a long-term catching solution here?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/susacan01.shtml 

He really hasn't been given much of a shot at the MLB-level: 8 games in 2017, 9 games in 2016. In 2015 he appeared in 52 games and wasn't great. 

Seems like he's solid behind the plate - threw out 25.4% of base runners at the major league level. If the bat can come around a bit, he'd be a solid player. Not expecting much, but he totally could turn it around here.

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Good to see he's back with the club after the staph infection.

He was a highly-regarded prospect and had solid numbers in the minors.  Was the "prize" in the Will Smith trade a few years ago.  Any chance he emerges as a long-term catching solution here?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/susacan01.shtml 

I think it's unlikely, his defense doesn't look any better than Sisco's to me and I don't know if he has enough power to make up for the big swing and miss portion of his game. He has dealt with some nagging injuries including wrist and thumb injuries so it's possible that he could improve if healthy.

He's got a shot to win the backup job behind Joseph if they decide Sisco needs to play everyday.  I think that's a pretty good possibility, especially if Buck isn't satisfied with Sisco's defense.  I doubt Susac is anything more than a backup though.  Sisco will be the starter in 2019 IMO.

21 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think it's unlikely, his defense doesn't look any better than Sisco's to me and I don't know if he has enough power to make up for the big swing and miss portion of his game. He has dealt with some nagging injuries including wrist and thumb injuries so it's possible that he could improve if healthy.

Gotcha.  Don't know a ton about him aside from the Will Smith trade and a look at his stats.  Disappointed to hear he is not a great defender, though it would be interesting to see what he could do on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Any chance he emerges as a long-term catching solution here?

No. For the Orioles, they are banking a bit on Sisco being the "catcher of the future" and will be given a chance this season, even if it's as a starter in AAA to get reps everyday and work on stuff in hopes everything really comes together late in the season and into 2019.

They also still have Austin Wynns, who is a MLB ready defender and who has improved his hitting.

Susac doesn't really excite with the bat more than Wynns does and Wynns has slightly better defense. Susac doesn't come anywhere close to Sisco with the bat, while his defense is an improvement, but nothing "mind blowing."

If, in 2019, Sisco is given the starting spot and faulters, then expect a veteran (Joseph, if he is still around) to step in with Wynns still as the back up. Then maybe in 2020/2021, remember the name "Stuart Levy."

Susac tweaked his swing prior to last season to incorporate more of an upper-cut but the results were not good. Maybe he settles in with his new swing and can produce .250/.325/.425. Maybe he's the short-end of the 2019 platoon at catcher with Sisco, should the team decide not to tender Joseph following this season.

Archived