Of the remaining FAs, who do you want? (Excluding obvious starters)

jamalshw

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, theobird said:

I am ok with the team as is.

You mean for the expectation of being a .500 team? Yeah, sure. But a guy to lead the rotation would be welcomed. And I don’t mean Cobb or Lynn, neither of whom are aces. Neither Bundy or Gausman is an ace. They need a guy who looks like he’s going to shove it up the other team’s you-know-what. None of this, “He’s the Orioles’ ace.” 

Feldman would be fine as a role player as you suggest, but it won’t move the needle. I’m sure that kind of move is much closer to a reality than what I’m suggesting.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

You mean for the expectation of being a .500 team? Yeah, sure. But a guy to lead the rotation would be welcomed. And I don’t mean Cobb or Lynn, neither of whom are aces. Neither Bundy or Gausman is an ace. They need a guy who looks like he’s going to shove it up the other team’s you-know-what. None of this, “He’s the Orioles’ ace.” 

Feldman would be fine as a role player as you suggest, but it won’t move the needle. I’m sure that kind of move is much closer to a reality than what I’m suggesting.

Feldman sucks! 

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Aces like that aren't that easy to come by. To acquire them you either need a yacht's worth of cash or some excellent draft and development luck. Lots of teams don't have that Ace.

12 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

None. Spend whatever money we can on starting pitching.

This ^^^

We need starting pitching like ESPN needs better daytime programming. Lineup is pretty solid, even for the AL East. With Britton back, bullpen is strong once again. 

One elite starter and I think we'll be in the playoff race. 

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Feldman sucks! 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/feldmsc01.shtml

He had a 4.27 ERA in 90 IP for us. That would be good for our 2nd best SP last year. 

I’m not saying the guy is that, but he’s a swingman that can give you 100 IP a year. Including spot starts. 

After the dust clears with rule 5 guys and DFA’s our SP depth could be real shallow. Spot starts. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/feldmsc01.shtml

He had a 4.27 ERA in 90 IP for us. That would be good for our 2nd best SP last year. 

I’m not saying the guy is that, but he’s a swingman that can give you 100 IP a year. Including spot starts. 

After the dust clears with rule 5 guys and DFA’s our SP depth could be real shallow. Spot starts. 

I don't want him back! We will have other options....If the Orioles add Jay and Cobb they will be much improved and will have a starter for the swingman role. They might actually have an outside chance at the 2nd WC....where I currently think the chances are none.

11 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

No, what I am saying is that it is what it is. The options out there are not attractive to me. Cobb and Lynn? Meh. Jake is also on the down side, imo. Those are all bad contracts. I agree that we are not likely contenders. But I see no reason at this point to throw good money at bad. I will hope for a good season from Cashner and a return to health and form for Tillman. I really like the addition of Rasmus. I would like to find a way to keep both Mesa and Cortes. Feldman? Oh hell no. I think Wright or Ynoa can play the swingman role. In short, if this team wanted to be serious contenders they should have been proactive to get to that level months ago. At this point it is time to take what we have and give it hell.

I'm in the boat of pass on all remaining FAs.  This team will either outperform expectations like they always do or flounder away, like is expected of them.

If they outperform, then guys like Cashner, Rasmus, Tillman, Beckham, Hays/Santander will all step up big time.

If they flounder you'll get a lot of use out of the Rule 5 pitchers, and be able to trade guys in the last year of their contracts for something.  Jones, Manny, Brach should net quality pieces for future years.

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Feldman sucks! 

Does he? 4.27 ERA in his brief Orioles stint, pretty much better than any SP we had last year. Proceeded to put up ERAs under 4 his next two seasons before a rough 2017 (4.77).

As a long reliever, he might be pretty great.

Archived