Bleacher Report 2018 Power Rankings: O's Last in AL East

Aristotelian

Okay, so it's Bleacher Report. Okay, so they mostly just replicate last year's final standings (except for bumping whoever signs the top 2-3 free agents). Still stings a bit to be lower than the Rays, and what's more, I can't really say that they are wrong. O's picked last in the division with 75 wins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761507-spring-training-2018-power-ranking-every-mlb-division-from-best-to-worst?

The same can't be said about the Baltimore Orioles.

After posting an MLB-worst 5.70 starters' ERA a year ago, this team was not an Andrew Cashner away from relevance.

It could be a busy trade deadline if they fall out of the hunt early, with Manny Machado, Zach Britton, Adam Jones and Brad Brach all staring down free agency.

29 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Honestly, this team is in no position to contend so where they finish doesn't matter to me. I think 75 wins is a bit generous.

I think we are a 3rd place team at the most optimistic of scenarios. 

Tired of fans playing the disrespect card like they do with the Ravens. We aren't very good and incompetent in various areas, that is why we aren't projected higher frequently.

The Rays will be trotting out a Triple A team next year.  No way should they be ranked ahead of the Orioles.  I don't think the Jays are far and away better than the Orioles, especially if Stroman is having shoulder issues. Their rotation already has injury risks. I'm not particularly sold on the Yankees.  They may hit the cover off the ball, but will their rotation hold up. 

That being said, I think on paper the Orioles are the 3rd best team in the division. And  I'm not sold on the overall quality in the AL, and feel the WC will be up for grabs. Call me overly optimistic. 

30 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

The Rays will be trotting out a Triple A team next year.  No way should they be ranked ahead of the Orioles. 

I’m confused by the Rays’ latest moves, but I wouldn’t say they’re trotting out a AAA team.   They’re still returning starting pitchers who started 103 games at a 4.04 ERA last year.    They’re probably a 70-75 wIn team.     Boring to watch, though.   

44 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

The Rays will be trotting out a Triple A team next year.  No way should they be ranked ahead of the Orioles.  I don't think the Jays are far and away better than the Orioles, especially if Stroman is having shoulder issues. Their rotation already has injury risks. I'm not particularly sold on the Yankees.  They may hit the cover off the ball, but will their rotation hold up. 

That being said, I think on paper the Orioles are the 3rd best team in the division. And  I'm not sold on the overall quality in the AL, and feel the WC will be up for grabs. Call me overly optimistic. 

A AAA team that will easily out pitch and out defend the beer league Orioles. It will be close but I give the nod to the O's in the race for last in the east.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m confused by the Rays’ latest moves, but I wouldn’t say they’re trotting out a AAA team.   They’re still returning starting pitchers who started 103 games at a 4.04 ERA last year.    They’re probably a 70-75 wIn team.     Boring to watch, though.   

Other than Archer, I don't see anything special. Snell, Andreise, and who am I missing? And Archer may not pitch all season as a Ray. Their top pitching prospect just has to have TJ. 

This may be putting lipstick on a pig:

By virtue of not having Ubaldo, Hellickson, and Miley on the team, I think our pitching might look a bit better than last year. You look at negative WAR eliminated from this team, we pulled -4.3 bWAR off of the squad from last year just by subtraction alone.

I don't know what the deal with Tillman is; call it a wash. Can he be much worse?

Archived