DJ Stewart, potential roster spot?

Legend_Of_Joey

Put the pitchforks down and read me out...

During the off season, the Orioles had been publicly staying they wanted a right fielder, preferably someone who bats left handed and plays good defense.

During the Spring so far, Stewart has been in right field 4 or 5 times. Not his "normal" spot, but they are putting him there.

Stewart would be a defensive upgrade over Trumbo in right, though the arm is a question for now. He fulfills the "left handed hitter" part and has power and speed, being a 20-20 player last year in Bowie.

With Hays ailing, Trumbo out with a quad injury (and hitting somewhere around a speed limit), and Colby Rasmus and his flight risk, might there be a spot? 

Buck would love Gentry, but there is still a month to go and Gentry has already had 1 hamstring issue in camp. Rickard isn't helping himself and Mullins is a highlight reel in the field and a TiVo fast forward moment in the batters box.

This is coming from someone that isn't even a fan of his.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea. I believe Luke mentioned this possibility as well. Stewart's fun to watch, although I'm very skeptical he is capable of hitting in the MLs right now. Certainly makes sense to try him out in RF with Mancini locked in at LF.

He'll need an injury to Rasmus and just kill it this spring to even remotely have a chance. Santander, Presley and of course Rasmus are all in front of him on the depth chart. I do like the idea of giving him some reps in RF and they may want to play him everyday there at Norfolk. Saying all this, I would not be surprised if he makes his major league debut this year.

I think they're giving him a look, and if he gets off to a good start in Bowie or Norfolk, chances are you'll see him called up this year, maybe even in the first half depending on injury and performance on the big club.  I doubt he breaks camp on the 25 man roster.

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He'll need an injury to Rasmus and just kill it this spring to even remotely have a chance. Santander, Presley and of course Rasmus are all in front of him on the depth chart. I do like the idea of giving him some reps in RF and they may want to play him everyday there at Norfolk. Saying all this, I would not be surprised if he makes his major league debut this year.

Yep, what ^ said.

Assuming Rasmus sticks, I think we start with him and then call up somebody if needed, rather than vice versa.

If we do need a lefty, what about Mullins? Switch hitter and more of a classic defensive sub/4th OF type who can play CF.

With the O's also needing to carry Santander, I don't see room for DJ or Mullins unless there is an injury to Rasmus, but either one could be the first man up.

Mullins, Mountcastle, Stewart, and Hays haven't hit well so far in Spring Training. They definitely need more time in the minors.

Sisco looks like he's ready to hit in the bigs, though. Santander has looked solid.

Just now, theocean said:

Mullins, Mountcastle, Stewart, and Hays haven't hit well so far in Spring Training. They definitely need more time in the minors.

Sisco looks like he's ready to hit in the bigs, though. Santander has looked solid.

You aren't trying to say that the fact they haven't hit well is the reason they need more time in the minors right?

Because that would be silly.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You aren't trying to say that the fact they haven't hit well is the reason they need more time in the minors right?

Because that would be silly.

Depends on how those ABs look, I think. More time wouldn't hurt any of these guys. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Regardless the sample size is too small.  How many at bats has Hays had?

Not nearly enough. But I think either way he had to tear it up in ST to make the team over a guy like Gentry. Maybe Buck doesn't care and he makes the team anyway, but I sorta doubt it.

28 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Stewart doesn't have the defensive skill set to play in a good ML  outfield. Could he play in the O's outfield ... probably

Wasted a first round pick on a guy whose ceiling is a ML DH, he doesn't throw with enough velocity to break a window.

Have you watched him play defense?

Archived