DJ Stewart, potential roster spot?

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He'll need an injury to Rasmus and just kill it this spring to even remotely have a chance. Santander, Presley and of course Rasmus are all in front of him on the depth chart. I do like the idea of giving him some reps in RF and they may want to play him everyday there at Norfolk. Saying all this, I would not be surprised if he makes his major league debut this year.

I like Stewart. We’re just a year away for him. I have a good feeling about a Rasmus/Gentry platoon. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He'll need an injury to Rasmus and just kill it this spring to even remotely have a chance. Santander, Presley and of course Rasmus are all in front of him on the depth chart. I do like the idea of giving him some reps in RF and they may want to play him everyday there at Norfolk. Saying all this, I would not be surprised if he makes his major league debut this year.

Kind’ve how I see it.   Good chance we see him in September, but realistically, not in April.   

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Stewart doesn't have the defensive skill set to play in a good ML  outfield. Could he play in the O's outfield ... probably

Wasted a first round pick on a guy whose ceiling is a ML DH, he doesn't throw with enough velocity to break a window.

It must burn you that Stewart ended up having a good year last year after you spent the first six weeks of the season trashing the guy.    And then when he started hitting, you just stopped commenting rather than admitting you might have been wrong.   

As to Stewart’s defense, from what I’ve read it’s not bad other than having a somewhat weak arm.   Luke rated him a 50 fielder and 45 arm — that’s fine.   MLB.com says 45 and 40 — not as good, but still passable.   

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It must burn you that Stewart ended up having a good year last year after you spent the first six weeks of the season trashing the guy.    And then when he started hitting, you just stopped commenting rather than admitting you might have been wrong.   

As to Stewart’s defense, from what I’ve read it’s not bad other than having a somewhat weak arm.   Luke rated him a 50 fielder and 45 arm — that’s fine.   MLB.com says 45 and 40 — not as good, but still passable.   

I dislike Stewart too, but he had a very good season last year. He figured out his new batting stance and ran with it.

As far as the arm...I don't know much about ratings, but he didn't have much zip on the ball from left. Maybe it improved during the off season.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For what it’s worth, minor league defensive metrics like him, not sure how much faith I put in those though although at least for OFs they seem to be in the ballpark to what my eyes tell me.

26 minutes ago, theocean said:

giphy.gif

50 PA: Swing %
100 PA: Contact Rate
150 PA: Strikeout Rate, Line Drive Rate, Pitches/PA
200 PA: Walk Rate, Groundball Rate, GB/FB
250 PA: Flyball Rate
300 PA: Home Run Rate, HR/FB
500 PA: OBP, SLG, OPS, 1B Rate, Popup Rate
550 PA: ISO

Notice BA isn’t even on here, that’s because batting average and BABIP isn’t reliable even after a season’s worth of PAs.

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

50 PA: Swing %
100 PA: Contact Rate
150 PA: Strikeout Rate, Line Drive Rate, Pitches/PA
200 PA: Walk Rate, Groundball Rate, GB/FB
250 PA: Flyball Rate
300 PA: Home Run Rate, HR/FB
500 PA: OBP, SLG, OPS, 1B Rate, Popup Rate
550 PA: ISO

Notice BA isn’t even on here, that’s because batting average and BABIP isn’t reliable even after a season’s worth of PAs.

What’s the source of this?

Just now, Ruzious said:

With the plethora of young OFers, doesn't it make sense to trade Stewart to a team with a dearth of corner OFers... maybe like the Braves... who have a pleth of pitching prospects?  

Certainly makes sense to trade one of them.

Don't see a lot of prospect for prospect trades for some reason.

Me, I'd trade Mancini.  I like to sell high and I don't have a lot of confidence with him in the outfield.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I’ve become a fan. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Certainly makes sense to trade one of them.

Don't see a lot of prospect for prospect trades for some reason.

Me, I'd trade Mancini.  I like to sell high and I don't have a lot of confidence with him in the outfield.

I had the same thought - as much as I loved to see Mancini have success last season and will continue to root for him even if he is traded.  

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s the source of this

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a stupid question — if strikeout, line drive and ground ball rates all have stabilized at 200 PA, how is that fly ball rates haven’t stabilized?

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/when-samples-become-reliable/

My bad, it’s an old chart, here is a link to an updated one.

https://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/sample-size/

The line drive thing doesn’t make sense, and it’s much different in the newer chart.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I dislike Stewart too, but he had a very good season last year. He figured out his new batting stance and ran with it.

As far as the arm...I don't know much about ratings, but he didn't have much zip on the ball from left. Maybe it improved during the off season.

Same. Me 3 on being critical. Good for him. I was VERY critical of the Stewart selection. My friend who was a scout (and his father was a scout) was quite critical of his arm and lack of power for a first rounder. I tended to agree, but it's good to be wrong. He looks much improved. Still not sure how high a ceiling he has, but I thought he might be a flat out bust. I am pulling for him.

Archived