A day for optimism about our players

Frobby

Today was a day to enjoy our own players.    Cashner had a good outing in his first game action.   He reminds me a bit of Sutcliffe in his demeanor.

You had to like seeing Harvey, Akin, Baumann, Hanifee and Lowther all in one game, the first two against the Red Sox regular lineup and holding their own.   Sisco with a big  RBI and Mountcastle the late bomb.

Then tonight, Hays and Santander with RBI singles, Santander with an excellent catch, Wells with a shutout inning.    

Overall, I’m feeling really good about Santander, Sisco, Harvey and Mountcastle’s bat.

Wish I had gotten to see Harvey. 3 K's against the Boston A team is a nice accomplishment.

Cashner looked sharp. Gentry made a nice play to bail him out of a possible big inning. 

First I had seen of Araujo. He looks good. 92-93 with a hard slider/cutter 86-89 and occasional change. 

Santander can hit. I could see him sticking even after he loses his Rule 5 status. 

I thought Tanner Scott looked pretty good against the Sox as well. Presley lost a flyball in the sun that was scored a double and Tejada booted an easy grounder the next batter. His slider wasn't great but that fastball is exciting.

The minors are going to be fun to follow this year. 

MLB-Sisco, Santander

AAA- Scott, Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Wynns

AA-Harvey, Mountcastle, Akin, Lowther

Just tried to list the big prospects that can help in the near future. This group can really help out with all the doom and gloom surrounding the future.  

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Today was a day to enjoy our own players.    Cashner had a good outing in his first game action.   He reminds me a bit of Sutcliffe in his demeanor.

You had to like seeing Harvey, Akin, Baumann, Hanifee and Lowther all in one game, the first two against the Red Sox regular lineup and holding their own.   Sisco with a big  RBI and Mountcastle the late bomb.

Then tonight, Hays and Santander with RBI singles, Santander with an excellent catch, Wells with a shutout inning.    

Overall, I’m feeling really good about Santander, Sisco, Harvey and Mountcastle’s bat.

This is all well and good... it makes it even more frustrating that they won't/haven't signed a Cobb-type pitcher to supplement the rotation.  Everything else looks pretty good, outside of the uncertainty in spots 4-5 in the rotation.  Sub in Cobb for Mike Wright and that could potentially lift this current group, with great contributions from the young guys, into wild card contention.  

Archived