Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

6 hours ago, jamalshw said:

Now the questions is (provided he passes the physical): how fast can he get ready for the season. Some of that depends on what he was doing while waiting to sign. Has he been throwing bullpens and sim games? Can he get ready to pitch a Spring Training game in a few days? If so, the rotation could break down as such:

March 29 - Gausman

March 31 - Bundy

April 1 - Cashner

April 2 - Tillman

April 3 - Gausman

April 4 - Cortez/Wright

April 5 - Bundy

April 6 - Cashner

April 7 - Tillman

April 8 - Gausman

April 9 - Cobb

Of course, I'll be at that April 11 game and wouldn't mind the O's finding a way to make that his O's debut.

Tides season doesn't begin until the 6th. If he pitches in their opener, he could start on the 11th  or 16th for the O's.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So it's been in the works for a long long time and Roch still gets scooped on it.

They should toss the old boy a bone once in a while.

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

The team contacts he has really do him dirty from time to time, he’s been writing all spring training about Wynns being a frontrunner for the 2nd C spot when I doubt that was ever the case.

Regarding Roch...I like him.   He is funny and he knows the game pretty well.  I think he gets zero inside info and I think the dysfunction of the O's helps that.  I see him sorta as one of us, who gets paid to post everyday. ;) 

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Dan did well for himself on his 2018 wish list after all

1) two viable starters and depth - Cashner and Cobb, with Tillman and Cortes for depth, CHECK

2) left handed hitting, primarily in the form of a RF - Rasmus with Pedro and Presley for depth, CHECK

3) left handed relief depth - Edgin and Joely, Cortes too, was enough depth to send Hart back to AAA, CHECK

4) Catching depth - Susac, enough to send Wynns to AAA for now and maybe even Sisco, CHECK

5) Middle infield depth - switch Manny to SS, switch the strategy, Beckham is the back up SS/2B and now we have big bopper Velencia to feast on lefties.

8 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

The question remains, was DD involved in any of it besides the rule 5 guys and maybe the NRI? Everything he’s said has pointed to wanting to sell off.

Dan, is a first class GM.  Orioles still a model of dysfunction, with a bunch of really smart people who want to win.  God bless Potter, and I like our roster better this year than any year since 2012.

And don't look now, but even if we lost Manny, Britton and everyone else the future looks pretty bright.  I have said since the middle of last season, that the ultimate grade of DD would require a pretty strong offseason.  Well, this rotation is not Palmer McNally Cuellar and Dobson, but it is one hell of a lot better on paper than the rotation that posted the worst ERA in Oriole history.

Congrats to the Orioles, kids get in free, old man really trying to win, could Manny be next?

Damn, it's like Christmas morning, I have been so despondent and now I cant wait!!!!!!

Please, join me for a cup of bright Orange Kool Aid!

I know it’s a bit silly, but I just threw like $70 on the Orioles making it to the playoffs (any playoffs, even a wildcard game). It was still at 11–to-1 and while I don’t think they’re likely to make the WC, I also don’t think their odds are *that* bad. Worth a flyer.

(On the contrary, if you wanted to bet the Indians for the same thing, it was 1-to-10, so betting $70 would get you a $7 profit)

8 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

We might agree that Frank Robinson qualified as a "generational talent." As did Roberto Clemente. And Willie Mays. Difficult for me to mark down any of them just because they played at the same time.

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Don't forget Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax, etc.

See, at that point the term “generational talent” ceases to have much meaning to me, unless you’re defining it as I did.    

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes, but going forward it is a strange spot for a four year deal. They likely lose four of the the core next year. Would rather have had Lynn for a year then retool. 

Hard to criticize them getting a guy who could make a difference though.

But what's the difference here?  Let's say semi-best case he gets back to the two years before the surgery.  He's at 170 innings of a 2.80, good for around four wins.  Don't want to be too negative, but doesn't this make the likely case 79 wins instead of 75?

I don't believe it. It sounds like DD and PA really want to win. I still can't believe it. If Davis and Trumbo have big years and the bullpen steps up then there's no telling how far we can go. Tomorrow is my birthday. What a great gift.

this is the best pitching staff we have had in the last five years, Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, Cobb and Tillman. If they all pitch to the abilities we are going to have

a really good year. To celebrate I am going to to do what Jim Bowden recommend we do "have a Cobb Salad for lunch" way to go Dan Duquette

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But what's the difference here?  Let's say semi-best case he gets back to the two years before the surgery.  He's at 170 innings of a 2.80, good for around four wins.  Don't want to be too negative, but doesn't this make the likely case 79 wins instead of 75?

The difference is that we have solidified the rotation for years to come at a below market price. Add the fact that it is only our third pick and this is a bargain. Less pressure to rush Harvey, allows Cortes/Castro/Wright to develop a little more and strengthens the bull pen. We have a strong but  inconsistent offense and a plus defense. I see this a good one year move and a great four year move.

31 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You know, all off-season, all I seen wrote in OH, is we have to sign one of the big three FA.

The team signs one of the big three, and the number 5th FA.

So, you think, somebody would be happy for at least a day? :(

I am. We now have a respectable group of starters and with our lineup we have a chance in the AL East. That's all you can ask for as a fan. A bit late but a great, unexpected signing.

20 minutes ago, dbiils0402 said:

this is the best pitching staff we have had in the last five years, Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, Cobb and Tillman. If they all pitch to the abilities we are going to have

a really good year. To celebrate I am going to to do what Jim Bowden recommend we do "have a Cobb Salad for lunch" way to go Dan Duquette

I'm just glad that DD, Brady, and Team A "Cobb"led together a chance for us to get to 81 W's!  :clap:  Thanks "Corn"!

22 minutes ago, johnegogo said:

The difference is that we have solidified the rotation for years to come at a below market price. Add the fact that it is only our third pick and this is a bargain. Less pressure to rush Harvey, allows Cortes/Castro/Wright to develop a little more and strengthens the bull pen. We have a strong but  inconsistent offense and a plus defense. I see this a good one year move and a great four year move.

I suppose.  I'm all for more enjoyable baseball, and Cobb should certainly be more enjoyable to watch than a replacement level disaster.  But I do think they have a pretty big hole to climb out of this year.  A lot has to go right to contend.

46 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The difference is the O's now have a rotation where they have a decent chance to win every game. It helps the bullpen from being burnt out by the end of June. It keeps the offense sharp and engaged. It provides a starter who can handle the Wild Card Game. 

It's a huge upgrade beyond WAR. And that 75 win projection has always been a low-ball.

Archived