The defense thread, 2018

Frobby

March 29, Game 1.

A lot of this was recapped elsewhere, but it’s still nice to have this thread for reference. 

- Gentry robbed a HR in the second inning, timing his leap perfectly at the wall in RCF.    It was the no. 1 play on SportsCenter.   He also made a nice catch towards the foul line later in the game.   

- Beckham knocked down a ball behind the 3B bag but couldn’t handle it.    Unclear if he could have thrown the runner out anyway, but Manny probably could have.    In the 6th, Beckham started a nice 5-4-3 DP from close to the foul line, with a very accurate throw to Schoop who made his usual beautiful turn. And in the 11th inning, runner on 3rd he charged a slow roller that had gotten past Bleier and fired accurately to 1B to end a threat.   

- In the 6th, Davis had a grounder get under his glove, but Schoop had shifted into short RF and picked it up and fired to Bundy, who did a great job of hustling to 1B on the play, to nab the runner by inches.     

- In the 9th, Davis couldn’t field a high chopper when the lights apparently got in his eyes.    It was scored as a hit.

- Givens made a diving play on a grounder that I didn’t see but drew raves in other threads.    

- Two runners stole 2B, and each time, it seemed a better tag play by Manny might have gotten the runner.   On the first one, Manny caught it a little out in front and then swept his glove onto the runner, who just beat it, but if Manny had let the ball travel just a bit further the runner might have been out (but it’s debatable).    The second one, Caleb’s throw short-hopped Manny by about 6 inches and bounced off his glove.   The runner is out if Manny catches that one.     I don’t consider either of these a bad play by either Caleb or Manny, but a little better execution and we might have had two outs.   

- Jones had a ball fall in front of him and behind Schoop that I think he might have reached if he’d been a little quicker and less tentative.   

- Caleb had a passed ball that I didn’t see and can’t describe.   

Quite a few notable defensive plays for Game 1 of the season!

March 31, Game 2

I didn’t see the first 5.5 innings, so folks need to help me out.    Here’s what I saw live, on replay or read about.

- Caleb was charged with a throwing error on a stolen base.   Manny couldn’t handle the throw and from some of the comments I’ve seen some people think he should have been able to catch it.

- Nestor Cortes started a nice 1-2-3 double play to escape a bases loaded jam in the 6th inning.

- In the 7th, runner on second, Schoop dove but couldn’t reach a slow bouncer in the 1B hole.    I think a faster 2B might have reached it.

If anyone wants to elaborate on the first play, or has others, please chime in!

13 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I thought Mauer’s double to the base of the ball was catchable with a decent left fielder out there.

we had this discussion on the game thread.  I disagree.  It would have taken an exceptional play, imho.   The ball was smoked. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

March 31, Game 2

I didn’t see the first 5.5 innings, so folks need to help me out.    Here’s what I saw live, on replay or read about.

- Caleb was charged with a throwing error on a stolen base.   Manny couldn’t handle the throw and from some of the comments I’ve seen some people think he should have been able to catch it.

- Nestor Cortes started a nice 1-2-3 double play to escape a bases loaded jam in the 6th inning.

- In the 7th, runner on second, Schoop dove but couldn’t reach a slow bouncer in the 1B hole.    I think a faster 2B might have reached it.

If anyone wants to elaborate on the first play, or has others, please chime in!

It was both a physical error but also a mental error.  The pitch was clearly ball four out of the pitcher's hand and Caleb should have realized it and not even made an unnecessary throw. 

He looks like a guy who missed instruction on some of the nuances of middle infield.  My guess is that was the price of pulling him up at 19 to play third.  Typically you are taught those things in college, not high school.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

we had this discussion on the game thread.  I disagree.  It would have taken an exceptional play, imho.   The ball was smoked. 

You being the president of the Trey Mancini fan club, I’m not surprised. I though it was hit high enough that someone faster gets to it. Trey looked slow in pursuit, probably because he is slow.

8 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

You being the president of the Trey Mancini fan club, I’m not surprised. I though it was hit high enough that someone faster gets to it. Trey looked slow in pursuit, probably because he is slow.

He’s an extension candidate!

It was both a physical error but also a mental error.  The pitch was clearly ball four out of the pitcher's hand and Caleb should have realized it and not even made an unnecessary throw. 

Great point and possibly why Manny wasn’t in position to receive a throw, he didn’t figure there’d be one.

• Upvote 1

I was right next to where it landed. If Mancini was shaded a lot closer to the line, or was Cedric Mullins, then he would of had it.

The ball was more "line drive" than pop up and landed almost on the line. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Babypowder said:

I thought Mauer’s double to the base of the ball was catchable with a decent left fielder out there.

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

50 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

32 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I was right next to where it landed. If Mancini was shaded a lot closer to the line, or was Cedric Mullins, then he would of had it.

The ball was more "line drive" than pop up and landed almost on the line. 

Just watched a replay of this.    Not a terrible play by Mancini or anything, but a ball that a faster outfielder who got a better jump might have caught.   And those are worth noting in this thread.    

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just watched a replay of this.    Not a terrible play by Mancini or anything, but a ball that a faster outfielder who got a better jump might have caught.   And those are worth noting in this thread.    

Check where Mancini was positioned before the hit too.

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Check where Mancini was positioned before the hit too.

Oh, I saw that.   But he got a little bit of a tentative jump and he’s not that fast.     Not an easy play for any outfielder but a ball some faster outfielders might have caught, even from where he started, if they got a good jump on it.