2018 Chris Tillman

Il BuonO

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Natty said:

Tillman's last chance as a starter is today against Cleveland. After he gets shelled again that's it...

Or maybe it's his second to last chance, or third, or forth...

He will be here for a few more months, at least. If Reimold made it all year, as a defensive replacement no less, then Tillman can pull this off. 

o

Not including the base-runner who was caught stealing, 76% of the outs that Tillman recorded (13 out of 17) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

Tillman was pitching on 7 days' rest.

18 OUTS: ) 7 Groundout (Including 1 Double Play), 5 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Caught Stealing

CHRISTOPHER STEVEN TILLMAN )))))) (vs. INDIANS, 4/21)

IP:lll6

H:lll 8 )) (3 Home Runs, 5 Singles)

R:llll 4

BB:ll1

SO:lll5

Pitches: )l 83(51 )Strikes, )32 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 9.87 ) 17.33 IP  (19 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 2.365 )  17.33 IP  (41 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .395 )  (30 for 76)

PITCHES BY INNING

15 lll(81 llStrikes, llll7 llllBalls)

13 lll(91 llStrikes, lllll4 llllBalls)

11 lll(51 llStrikes, lllll6 llllBalls)

16 llll(10 llStrikes, llll6 llllBalls)

81 llll(71 llStrikes, lllll1 llllBalls)

20 llll(12 llStrikes, llll8 llllBalls)

o

I think in the bullpen era, 5 IP and 2 ER might be a more on target way to think about a "quality" start, and he had that today.  I think if he ends up kind of sort of useful, it'll be as a five-and-dive guy (which we can afford with how the other guys are doing), but like in New York, it seems today the Ghost of Tillman Past led to him getting more opportunity than was probably optimal.

50 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

4 runs in 6 innings is fine for the 5th spot. Tillman will probably get blasted for this loss too. But once again, the bats don't show up.

Those runs are by a team which hasn’t been hitting. Little better with command, but some of the misses are so bad that mechanically it tells me he’s off. Palmer touched on his landing point and I agree. I just don’t see the same guy who had success. 

Today pitches to a 6.00 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, against a team that is really struggling offensively.... and I'm sure Buck has him penciled in for his next start.

With the stuff he has and had today does anyone believe he would get out of the first inning against the Red Sox?

I fear this is what a very good  Tillman start might look like this year...and it was definitely luck/Cleveland aided. I think Cleveland batters inexplicably bunted at at least two pitches that would otherwise have been crushed somewhere. That thing Tilly calls a fastball ain’t working. Partly because he alternately throws it in the stands or in the middle of the plate.

He was meh today.  He had little more control on his pitches and got lot more swing and misses then he has in his other starts, which is a good sign.  I actually saw some finish in some of his off speed pitch and had the curve looking like a strike and get batters to chase.  He still had some issues with the command on the fastball and not much movement.  As a fifth starter what he did today would be ok and he showed a bit of step forward so he should get another couple starts and it is not like we have ton of options.  

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Those runs are by a team which hasn’t been hitting. Little better with command, but some of the misses are so bad that mechanically it tells me he’s off. Palmer touched on his landing point and I agree. I just don’t see the same guy who had success. 

Guess Bundys start last night was a mirage then? Since Cleveland isn't a major league offense. 

Archived