2018 Chris Tillman

Il BuonO

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/12/2018 at 10:31 AM, Tony-OH said:

I would bet Chris Tillman is hanging on for a paycheck rather some love of the game while pitching for the worse team in baseball when he has a 1.92 WHIP against minor leaguers.

Tillman has about $1.25M left on his deal.  I also remember you being very vocal that Roberts should've quit rather than taking the Orioles money over a self-inflicted injury.

I say all that to ask this, if you're in Chris Davis' position, do you protect what's left of your legacy and retire after possibly the worst season for a MLB player in history?  Would you continue to take the money ($92M) even if it meant your legacy?  

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Tillman has about $1.25M left on his deal.  I also remember you being very vocal that Roberts should've quit rather than taking the Orioles money over a self-inflicted injury.

I say all that to ask this, if you're in Chris Davis' position, do you protect what's left of your legacy and retire after possibly the worst season for a MLB player in history?  Would you continue to take the money ($92M) even if it meant your legacy?  

You take the money, period.  I may not want to watch Chris Tillman or Chris Davis as a fan of the Orioles but I don't blame them one bit for showing up to work everyday and collecting their paycheck.  They did enough in their careers to be signed to whatever respective contracts they received.  Certainly Chris Tillman was very close to getting a whole lot of more money if he was able to become a free agent one year prior to when he did.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:27 AM, TonySoprano said:

Respectfully, if you pick 100 people on Eutaw Street during a game, pulled them aside and asked them to name the 5 guys in the Orioles 2008 starting rotation without looking it up and gave them $20 per name how many walk away with $100?  $20.  OHers are far more informed but without googling it, I'd bet a small subset get the $100.  We're talking about Baltimore fans.  His "legacy" will be even less with overall baseball fans.    Chris Tillman should not earn induction even into the Orioles HOF. 

Tillman was an effective pitcher for 4 seasons (5 if you count 2012 where he wasn't brought up until July). 

If you were Chris Tillman, would you want 2017 to be your legacy?  If he quit now will he change his overall legacy than if he goes until September? 

Give it a few years, and he'll be signing autographs for free on Eutaw Street next to Chris Hoiles, who had much more of a legacy in an Orioles uniform.

I believe Tillman is no different that countless MLers before him who loved the game so much that he hung on as long as he could. 

The only starters who had any sort of career were Cabrera and Guthrie.  And only thing memorable about Cabrera was how wild he was.   

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, Aglets said:

Yea if a player is terrible is it really his fault that they keep throwing him out there?

I blame the FO (and Buck to a degree) for not ending this ridiculous sideshow with Tillman already.  It literally makes no sense to me other than they personally like Chris and don't want to hurt his feelings.

The $3 million he is getting should help his feelings.  Stop this charade.

I hope Tillman starts at Norfolk on Sunday,  They can call up Hess to make the start for the O's on Sunday.  I would rather see Means but  the O's would probably have to put Tillman on the 60 day DL.   They have avoided that so far.   Predicting what the O's will do with Tillman is pointless.   They could do anything.   

Personally, I would DFA him on the 19th.   He will pass through waivers and they can outright him to Norfolk or Bowie and collect his major league salary.  He can continue his come back from there for the rest of the year. Off of the O's 40 man roster.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I hope Tillman starts at Norfolk on Sunday,  They can call up Hess to make the start for the O's on Sunday.  I would rather see Means but  the O's would probably have to put Tillman on the 60 day DL.   They have avoided that so far.   Predicting what the O's will do with Tillman is pointless.   They could do anything.   

Personally, I would DFA him on the 19th.   He will pass through waivers and they can outright him to Norfolk or Bowie and collect his major league salary.  He can continue his come back from there for the rest of the year. Off of the O's 40 man roster.

Really at this point does it really matter if Tillman or Hess starts on Sunday?  Even if Tillman doesn't make it through the first inning and the bullpen pitches 8 plus innings the all star break starts after the game so they have plenty of time to rest up. 

Archived